Bread and butter pudding is such a classic British dessert that it’s hard to think of anything better to serve up after a Sunday roast or as a dinner party pudding. It’s rich, creamy and a little bit boozy thanks to the addition of Baileys liqueur in this recipe. It’s a great way to use up any bread you’ve got left over and want to use up before it goes off too.
What’s more, this recipe makes a pudding large enough to serve up to eight people, so it’s the best sweet treat to make if you’ve got a lot of mouths to feed – and there’ll probably be enough for seconds too!
HOW TO MAKE BAILEYS BREAD AND BUTTER PUDDING
- 100g butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 6 thick slices crusty white farmhouse bread, crusts left on
- 85g sultanas or golden raisins
- 3 large eggs
- 250ml whole milk
- 150ml double cream
- 150ml Baileys liqueur
- 25g golden caster sugar
- 25g demerara sugarsingle cream or custard, to serve
You will need:
2 litre ovenproof dish, buttered
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Butter the bread and cut each slice into triangles. Arrange the triangles so that they overlap in the dish, and scatter over the sultanas or raisins between the layers.
- Lightly beat the eggs and mix with the milk, cream, Baileys and caster sugar, then pour over the bread. Lightly press down with a potato masher, so that the bread absorbs the creamy mixture.
- Sprinkle over the demerara sugar and bake for 30 minutes until the top is golden and the pudding is just set. Serve warm with single cream or custard for pouring over.
Who is in the Unforgotten series 4 cast and what can we expect from the new series of the ITV drama?
The fourth series of the ITV drama Unforgotten finally returns tonight
By Laura Harman •
Olivia Munn just shared her go-to skincare products, including a $6 body scrub
We love a celebrity beauty recommendation, especially when it's as affordable as this one from Olivia Munn
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Why Cameron Diaz has quit acting for good
The Hollywood actress admits she's retired from the big screen
By Selina Maycock •