- 400g (14oz) cranberries
- 2 small tart green apples, such as Granny Smith, peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 50g (2oz) raisins or sultanas
- 2 knobs stem ginger in syrup, chopped
- 75ml (3fl oz) red wine vinegar
- 75g (3oz) soft brown sugar
- ½tsp each chilli flakes and mixed spice
- 50g (2oz) quince or apple jelly
Put all the ingredients – except the jelly – into a large saucepan and add some black pepper and a pinch of salt. Simmer gently to dissolve the sugar, stirring frequently, then cook until the cranberries have popped and you have a jam-like consistency. Add the quince jelly and stir. Cool for a few minutes, then pack into sterilised jars.
Sterilising: Wash jars or bottles well in hot soapy water, rinse, then place in a hot oven (150 C, 130 C fan, 300 F, gas 2) for 10 to 15 minutes. Or put on a short, hot cycle in the dishwasher (no soap!). Fill while still hot.
Make the Cranberry relish at least a week before you need it. It will keep in a cool, dark cupboard for up to 3 months. Once opened, keep sealed in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.