Taken from The Complete Asian Cookbook by Charmaine Solomon (Hardie Grant, £14.99 each)
- Choose any of the following vegetables for this simple stir-fry and make sure they are thinly sliced or any leaves are shredded: okra, aubergine, marrow, courgette, green beans, mangetout, carrot, cucumber, cabbage, English spinach, bean sprouts or bamboo shoots.
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil or corn oil
- 1–2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 300–400g (10–14 oz/3–4 cups) mixed sliced vegetables (see above)
- fish sauce (optional)
Heat the sesame oil in a wok or large heavy-based frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is soft. Add the vegetables and stir-fry until they are tender but still crisp. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, and a sprinkling of fish sauce to taste. Serve immediately.