Taken from Fired Up: Vegetarian, No Nonsense Barbequing (£14.99; Murdoch Books)Buy Fired Up: Vegetarian
- 150g plain (all-purpose) flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 185ml milk
- 125g creamed corn
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Good-quality mayonnaise, to serve
- Thinly-sliced spring onion (scallion) to serve
Combine the flour, baking powder, paprika and salt in a bowl, then make a well in the centre.
In another bowl, combine the egg, milk and creamed corn.
Pour the mixture into the flour well with the melted butter and use a fork to combine.
Preheat the barbecue hotplate to medium and lightly brush with oil.
Pour or ladle the batter, using about 125ml for each griddle bread, onto the hotplate, leaving room between each to expand. You should have enough batter for four griddle breads.
Use the back of a spoon to spread each one out into a circle about 12-15cm across.
Cook for 4-5 minutes, or until bubbles form around the edges.
Flip them over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.
Serve warm, topped with a dollop of mayonnaise, some spring onion and a sprinkling of paprika.