For a great side dish that goes really well with red meat, or a veggie main option, give this courgette recipe a go. Packed with a rainbow of summer vegetables, it’s the tastiest way to get your five-a-day in a really low calorie recipe.
This recipe doesn’t take long to prep or cook and serves up to four people, so it makes a healthy dinner recipe for the whole family.
- 6 tbsp (90ml) olive oil
- 2 large aubergines, cut into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 4 small courgettes, sliced into 2.5cm (1in) chunks
- 1 red and 1 yellow pepper, deseeded and cut into 4cm (1 ½ in) chunks
- 8 large ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- ½ tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1small bunch basil, roughly torn
Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large casserole that will hold all the vegetables once cooked. Brown the aubergines well on all sides and remove to a plate. Heat a little more olive oil and brown the courgette slices, remove to a plate. Then add the peppers and cook for 5 minutes until soft.
Add the remaining olive oil to the pan and cook the onions for 10 minutes until soft and golden, add the garlic and cook for a further minute, but do not allow the garlic to brown. Add the crushed coriander and vinegar, then tip in the tomatoes and half the basil. Add the aubergines, courgettes and peppers, season well with salt and pepper and cook for 15 -20 minutes until the vegetables are soft and the tomatoes have collapsed. Check the seasoning, scatter with the remaining basil and serve.
Top Tip for making Classic Ratatouille
By cooking the vegetables separately it prevents them becoming mushy in the finished dish. You can also add a tablespoon capers to the finished dish if desired.