- 125g/41/2oz buffalo mozzarella, torn into pieces
- grated zest and juice of 1/2 small lemon
- 1/2 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for frying and drizzling
- 1 ripe avocado
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Put the mozzarella in a shallow non-metallic bowl. Mix together the lemon zest, juice, chilli and extra virgin olive oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper and pour over the mozzarella. Ideally, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 15–30 minutes.
To cook the avocado, cut in half and remove the pit. Peel away the skin and cut the flesh into slices about 1cm/1/2in thick. Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the avocado and fry for 1–2 minutes each side until lovely and golden. Remove from the pan, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
Serve hot, with the marinated mozzarella and a lovely glass of chilled white wine.