This chicken noodle soup is, for us, the essence of comfort in a bowl. Nutritious, with protein from the chicken and carbohydrates from the noodles, it ticks all the boxes of desirability. This vegetable packed, chunky soup is perfect for lunch or dinner; simply adjust portion sizes accordingly. Whether you, your husband or your children, are feeling under the weather, this is the perfect pick-me-up to help to restore them to health. If you're in perfect health, and just want something to warm you up, this chicken noodle soup is also just the ticket. With only 3g of saturated fat, it's perfect for those of you watching your cholesterol, whilst providing you with the carbohydrates you need to power through the day. If you don't have a slotted spoon, drain the chicken well over the pan, using a ladle or another kitchen utensil. Be sure to observe the timings well with this recipe, in order to ensure the perfect consistency. Serve at a lunch or dinner party as a show-off piece with bread, our homemade ciabatta if you have the time, as part a flawless, made-from-scratch meal you can be proud of.
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, leek, celery and carrot, and sweat for 10 minutes or until beginning to soften. Add the lemon juice, bay leaf and stock to the pan, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the chicken to the pan and cook for a further 15 minutes.
2. Remove the chicken with a slotted spoon and, when it’s cool enough to handle, shred into bite-sized strips. Return to the pan and reheat along with the noodles for 4-5 minutes. Season well. Stir through the parsley and serve.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and bashed
- 1 leek, ﬁnely sliced
- 1 celery stick, ﬁnely sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1.2 litres chicken stock
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 150g pouch udon noodles
- 4tbsp chopped ﬂat-leaf parsley