makes:10 - 12
How to make Bubble and Squeak Röstis:
- 300g floury potatoes such as King Edwards, peeled and cut into 5cm (2in) chunks
- 2 large parsnips, peeled and cut in half
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 200g leftover cooked meat, shredded (we used ham and turkey)
- 25g parsley, roughly chopped
- 75g Savoy cabbage or spring greens, shredded
- 2 large free-range eggs, beaten
- 2tbsp oil
- 50g plain flour
- Chicory or other salad leaves, to serve
- Chutney, to serve (we used The English Provender Co Sweet Tomato & Chilli Chutney and Spicentice Mango Chutney)
Put the potatoes, parsnips and carrots in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil. Turn the temperature down and simmer for 10 minutes to soften the vegetables. Pour into a colander and allow to cool slightly before handling.
Grate all the vegetables into a large bowl; season well then add the meat, parsley and cabbage. Combine then stir in the beaten eggs to bind the mixture, and mould into 7cm (2¾in) round patties.
Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Heat half the oil in a large sauté pan. Dust the patties in the flour then gently fry for a few minutes on each side until golden and crispy, adding more oil if necessary. Put on to a baking sheet and pop into the oven for 10 to 15 minutes until fully heated through. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve with salad and chutney.
Top Tip for making Bubble and Squeak Röstis
These rösti cakes are delicious served with chutneys or raita.