Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
Prince William has recently welcomed the launch of the new inquiry into his late mother Princess Diana’s shock BBC Panorama interview.
- A royal commentator has said that Prince William's statement on the BBC Princess Diana (opens in new tab) inquiry will not be the last we hear from the brothers
- It's claimed that they will want to give a joint statement at it's conclusion.
- In other Royal News (opens in new tab), Prince George and his siblings are missing their “great-granny” the Queen in second lockdown (opens in new tab).
The interview, which amassed almost 23 million viewers back in 1995 is still one of the most famous interviews ever broadcast.
But after claims were made that journalist Martin Bashir secured the interview with Princess Diana with falsified information, an inquiry was launched.
Now a royal commentator has said that both of Princess Diana’s sons may speak out when “more information comes to light.”
What has Prince William said about the Princess Diana inquiry?
In a statement released by Kensington Palace, Prince William revealed he “tentatively welcomed the investigation” into how his mother’s interview was secured. He added that it was “a step in the right direction”.
Lord Dyson, one of the country's most senior retired judges and a former Supreme Court judge, has been appointed to lead the inquiry.
This news follows claims made by Princess Diana’s brother (opens in new tab) Earl Spencer that interviewer Martin Bashir allegedly used false bank statements to convince her to take part.
Royal family biographies that are on sale during Black Friday
Finding Freedom: Harry and Meghan and the Making of a Modern Royal Family: £20 £13.60 (save £6.40) | WHSmith (opens in new tab) The fascinating tell-all book on the story of Harry and Meghan, and their ultimate departure from the royal family, Finding Freedom is now £6.40 off at WHSmith.
Diana: The People's Princess:
£20 £14.95 (save £5.05) | Amazon (opens in new tab) This keepsake book from Nicholas Owen documents the life and death of Princess Diana, and aims to celebrate her achievements, her legacy, and the public outpouring of grief following her death. It's also been brought up to date to include Prince Harry's marriage to Meghan Markle.
Diana: Style Icon: A Celebration of the fashion of Lady Diana Spencer, Princess of Wales:
£12.99 £10.65 (save £2) | Amazon (opens in new tab)The late Princess was utterly iconic for her style and fashion choices, and this book is the perfect way to honour that. Charting her on and off-duty looks, this is the ideal gift for any fashion fans you know.
What have royal commentators said?
On the HeirPod podcast, Omid Scobie and Maggie Rulli spoke in greater detail about this investigation. Scobie has speculated that the Duke of Cambridge’s initial statement could be the first of several comments made.
"There are a lot of unanswered questions,” he acknowledged. He added: “I am sure this will probably not be the last we hear from William or Harry on the matter.
Whilst Prince William’s statement came swiftly after the inquiry was announced, Prince Harry has yet to speak out about the investigation.
However, Scobie believes: “as more information comes to light we may end up hearing from the Duke of Sussex."
Why didn’t Prince William and Prince Harry make a joint statement?
During the podcast, Rulli asked Scobie whether “under other circumstances”, the brothers “would have made a joint statement.”
In response, Scobie replied that he had been “trying to figure out whether there are politics behind this decision” of Prince William’s to release a statement so early. The royal commentator revealed he was “surprised” by this.
He added: “I could definitely imagine them both wanting to say something when the investigation has concluded."
According to the Express, a source close to the Duke of Sussex has rejected claims that his silence is anything to do with the supposed rift between the brothers.
They reportedly declared that unfortunately some people are “trying to use this as an opportunity to drive a wedge between the brothers”.
The source added: "You do not need a public statement to imagine how he is feeling privately. People know how much his mother means to him.”
As the investigation into the BBC’s Princess Diana interview continues, we will have to wait and see if the two Dukes speak out when further information comes to light.
Copy Princess Diana's most iconic looks for less thanks to these Cyber weekend buys
Emma is a Senior Lifestyle Writer with six years of experience working in digital publishing. Her specialist areas including literature, the British Royal Family and knowing all there is to know about the latest TV shows on the BBC, ITV, Channel 4 and every streaming service out there. When she’s not writing about the next unmissable show to add to your to-watch list or delving into royal protocol, you can find Emma cooking and watching yet more crime dramas.
Shania Twain 'unrecognisable' as she swaps her signature brunette hair for platinum blonde locks
Shania Twain's new platinum blonde hair has divided fans as the singer reveals new style to release her new album, Queen of Me
By Laura Harman • Published
Alexa Chung poses in 'naked' dress at Buckingham Palace ahead of King Charles and Camilla meeting
Alexa Chung's 'naked' dress sparkled outside of Buckingham Palace
By Caitlin Elliott • Published