How To Hold Your Own Street Party For The Queen's Birthday

(Image credit: Rex Features (Shutterstock))

The Government are encouraging the British public to host their own street parties in celebration of the Queen's official birthday on 12th June 2016.

Thousands of street parties took place for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012, and over 7 million people got together for The Big Lunch in June 2015.

Street parties are the perfect opportunity to fundraise for charities and encourage volunteering for local causes in your community.

Think holding a street party is too much hassle? Think again! Here are the Government's tips on how to hold your own street party. What counts as a 'street party'?

Any event that is publicised to and attended by residents of the area. The event can be held in a quiet residential road or street, and requires no insurance, formal risk assessment or licences unless the sale of alcohol is involved. Do I need to approve the party with anyone first?

Yes, simply fill in the application form ( and send to your council. You can find your council be entering your postcode at Find your local council ( How much planning do I need to do in advance?

It is advisable to leave at least 4-6 weeks before you plan to hold the party.

More tips at the Streets Alive website ( and The Big Lunch website ( Do I need a licence? The Licensing Act 2003 does not require a music licence at a street party unless music is one of the main purposes of the event.

If you wish to sell alcohol, you will need to check whether you need a Temporary Events Notice, which costs £21 and covers events of less than 500 people. For more information or to apply for a Temporary Events Notice, go to

If your event is a one-off, you will not need a food licence, but you must ensure that food is safe to eat. What about oncoming traffic? All the council needs to know is where and when your party is so they can put in place a traffic regulation order. The council will not charge you for closing the road, and may even lend you signs and cones for the event.

Can I hold a raffle?

You do not have to register a lottery/raffle/tombola if you are running an 'incidental non-commercial lottery'. Tickets must be sold and winners announced at the event. The expenses that can be deducted from the proceeds must not be more that £100, and no more than £500 should be spent on prizes.

So what are you waiting for? Fill in an application form, available from, and get planning your summer street party!

Isa Jaward

Isa Jaward is a journalist from London who has written for the likes of Time Out, The Guardian and Music Week.