- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 300ml dry white wine
- 2kg fresh mussels, cleaned and de-bearded
- juice of ½ a lemon
- 25g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- large handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
- small handful tarragon leaves, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over a medium heat and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened and golden. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the wine to the pan, cover and bring to the boil. Now add the mussels and replace the lid, shake the pan a couple of times during cooking. Heat for around 5 minutes until all the mussels have opened up.
Drain the sauce into a small pan, add the lemon juice, butter and chopped herbs, boil for 1 minute, season well and mix with the mussels to serve.