Tarragon roast chicken is the perfect way to elevate your classic Sunday roast into something a bit more special.
- 30g butter, plus a little extra
- 1 fennel, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 roasting chicken, around 1.8kg
- 4tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6tbsp double cream
- 1 small bunch tarragon, finely chopped
- 300ml rich chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
Tarragon roast chicken is the perfect way to elevate your classic Sunday roast into something a bit more special. The creamy sauce is packed with flavour from the tarragon, mustard and fennel, which complement the chicken so well. This tarragon roast chicken is perfect served with green vegetables and simple roast or boiled potatoes. Serve the rest of the sauce in a jug for everyone to pour onto their plates, so the veg can soak up all of the sauce’s great flavour. A classic roast dinner is a national favourite, but this recipe is just one of many great ways you can jazz up your chicken. If you liked this, why not try our lemon roast chicken with lemon thyme, or our roast chicken with sticky plums.
HOW TO MAKE TARRAGON ROAST CHICKEN
- Heat the oven to 180C. Melt the butter in a frying pan then add the fennel and onions, and cook for 10 mins over a medium heat. Stir in the fennel seeds, then put this mix in the centre of a roasting tin, sit the chicken on top and season well. Roast your chicken in the oven for 1 hr.
- Take out the chicken and set it to one side. Put the pan juices and fennel mixture into a casserole dish. Add the mustard, cream, tarragon and chicken stock, with seasoning. Pop the chicken in and return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 mins, then add the lemon zest and juice. Serve with roast potatoes and greens.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up
sunday lunch Recipes
More Sunday lunch Recipes
family meal Recipes
More Family meal Recipes
More Chicken Recipes
More Roast Recipes