By Jane Curran
Tarragon roast chicken is the perfect way to elevate your classic Sunday roast into something a bit more special. The creamy sauce is packed with flavour from the tarragon, mustard and fennel, which complement the chicken so well. This tarragon roast chicken is perfect served with green vegetables and simple roast or boiled potatoes. Serve the rest of the sauce in a jug for everyone to pour onto their plates, so the veg can soak up all of the sauce’s great flavour. A classic roast dinner is a national favourite, but this recipe is just one of many great ways you can jazz up your chicken. If you liked this, why not try our lemon roast chicken with lemon thyme, or our roast chicken with sticky plums.
HOW TO MAKE TARRAGON ROAST CHICKEN
- 30g butter, plus a little extra
- 1 fennel, sliced
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 roasting chicken, around 1.8kg
- 4tbsp Dijon mustard
- 6tbsp double cream
- 1 small bunch tarragon, finely chopped
- 300ml rich chicken stock
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- Heat the oven to 180C. Melt the butter in a frying pan then add the fennel and onions, and cook for 10 mins over a medium heat. Stir in the fennel seeds, then put this mix in the centre of a roasting tin, sit the chicken on top and season well. Roast your chicken in the oven for 1 hr.
- Take out the chicken and set it to one side. Put the pan juices and fennel mixture into a casserole dish. Add the mustard, cream, tarragon and chicken stock, with seasoning. Pop the chicken in and return to the oven, uncovered, for 30 mins, then add the lemon zest and juice. Serve with roast potatoes and greens.
Prince Charles’ adorable nickname used by Kate Middleton at G7 summit, revealed by lip reader
A lip reader has analysed Prince Charles and Kate Middleton's sweet interactions
By Caitlin Elliott •
The UK's top scenic routes for the ultimate staycation have been unveiled
The UK's top scenic routes have been revealed—and we finally don't feel so bad about another summer in lockdown
By Emma Dooney •
According to a study, this is the one thing you'll most regret in life
Do you live with regret?
By Amy Hunt •