Our scallop starter Gratin is an indulgent way to start off Christmas day, or a dinner party.
- 150ml milk
- 3 bay leaves
- 5 peppercorns
- ½ onion, peeled and left in one piece
- 25g unsalted butter
- 25g flour
- 250ml double cream
- 100g grated mature Cheddar
- 200g lobster meat (raw is best, but pre cooked works too)
- 250g raw scallops
- 60g breadcrumbs (either buy straight from the shops or make your own using stale bread)
Why not try preparing the scallop starter gratin the day before and leaving it covered in the fridge overnight or infusing the milk the night before in a slow cooker, ready to use the next morning.
- Put the milk, bay leaves, peppercorns and onion into a pan and heat gently, ensuring it doesn't boil, then set aside for 1 hour to infuse. Strain into a jug. Melt the butter in a different pan, stir in the flour, cook for about two minutes, then gradually whisk in the milk. Cook until the sauce has thickened. Now whisk in the cream and half the cheese.
- Heat the oven to 200C. Divide the seafood between 4 ovenproof dishes or one shallow dish. Pour over the sauce. Mix together the breadcrumbs and remaining cheese, and sprinkle over the top of seafood. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the top is a little golden and the cheese has melted.
Get the best entertainment news, recipes, fashion, beauty and wellbeing advice for you. For FREE.Sign up