This chowder recipe is great with smoked haddock, but you could use prawns, clams or even chicken if you prefer
- 1tbsp oil
- 100g (4oz) pancetta, cubed, or bacon lardons
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 300ml (½pt) chicken or vegetable stock
- 350g (12oz) smoked haddock, skinned and cut into chunks
- 1 potato (around 225g/8oz), peeled and diced
- 300ml (½pt) double cream or crème fraîche
- 250g (9oz) frozen sweetcorn, thawed
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat, add the pancetta or lardons and fry until lightly browned. Remove from the pan, set aside and drain on kitchen towel.
Add the onion to the pan and cook until browned, stirring. Return the pancetta to the pan with the stock, haddock and potato. Bring to the boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the cream and sweetcorn and simmer for 5 minutes. To serve, season and serve with crusty bread.