This punchy tomato, garlic and red onion salad is perfect served with cold meats or a grilled steak
- 4 red onions, cut into small wedges
- 1 bulb garlic, unpeeled and separated into cloves
- 8 sprigs lemon thyme
- 500g (1lb 2oz) tomatoes, halved or sliced
- 1tsp Dijon mustard and 3tbsp olive oil
- 1½tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1tsp each lemon juice and honey
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6. Place the onions, garlic cloves and half the thyme on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment, season, drizzle with olive oil and roast for 30 minutes. Leave them to cool slightly before serving.
To make the dressing, whisk together the mustard, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and garlic until smooth. Season and set aside.
To serve, toss the onions, roasted garlic and tomatoes with the dressing in a serving dish, and sprinkle with the remaining thyme (leaves only).