By Jane Curran
Our white bean salad with tomatoes is a flavourful side dish that is inspired by an Egyptian dish. It only takes two simple steps to make a vibrant and flavourful salad that is perfect for vegetarians. We’ve used Navarrico haricot beans in a jar, available from Ocado, but if you can’t find them you can use a jar or can of cannellini beans instead. This white bean salad is finished with a sprinking of za’atar, a Palestinian blend of herbs and spices, often made with thyme, sumac and sesame, which adds such depth of flavour. Using good quality, ripe, tomatoes makes this white bean salad extra special. With simple recipes like this one, using good quality ingredients is key! Beans are such versatile ingredients that are a good source of protein for vegetarians. We love using them in salads, soups and casseroles. For something a bit different with white beans, why not try using them in a pasta or making your own dip by blending them with garlic, seasoning and olive oil.
HOW TO MAKE WHITE BEAN SALAD WITH TOMATOES
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a pan, then gently cook the onions for 10 mins. Once the onions have started to soften, add the garlic and stir through for a few minutes. Add 150ml water and the tomato purée to the pan. Stir well then put into a bowl, covered, to cool completely.
- Stir the remaining olive oil and the lemon juice into the onions and stir in the beans. Add the tomatoes and parsley, then check for seasoning and sprinkle over the za’atar.
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 70g tomato purée
- juice of 1 lemon
- 660g jar haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- 250g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 5tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1tbsp za’atar
This is the REAL reason Bridgerton's Jonathan Bailey had makeup applied to his butt
Bridgerton's Jonathan Bailey had makeup applied to his butt in order to stay true to the period drama. Read on...
By Fiona Embleton •
The Serpent star Ellie Bamber swears by this cream blush for instantly brightening her complexion
Ellie Bamber's favorite makeup products create a next-to-natural finish.
By Fiona Embleton •
Dame Judi Dench has received her first Covid-19 vaccination
The actor has called it ‘a great start’
By Emma Shacklock •