A gorgeous fillet steak recipe rolled in sesame seeds with an orange, spelt and walnut salad
- 4 fillet steaks, around 200g (7oz) each
- 6tbsp sesame seeds
- 450g (1lb) ready-cooked spelt (we used The Food Doctor, from Waitrose and independents), or pearl barley
- 100g (4oz) walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- juice 1 orange
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- handful parsley, chopped
- 100g (4oz) dried cranberries
- 2 large handfuls watercress
- 2tbsp olive oil
Heat the oven to 220C, 200C fan, 425F, gas 7. To cook the steaks, lightly oil and season them, and roll the sides in the sesame seeds (try not to get any on the top or bottom, as they'll burn). Heat a frying pan with a drop of oil and, when sizzling, seal the steaks for 1 minute on the top and bottom, then transfer to the oven and cook for 10 to 14 minutes for rare to medium. Leave to rest on a plate for 5 minutes.
To make the salad, combine the salad ingredients and season. Stir steak juices through the salad; serve with the steaks.