A pared-down version of the classic Ceasar salad that can be knocked up in no time
- 4 salted anchovies (from a can is fine)
- 125g (4½oz) good-quality mayonnaise (we used Delouis Fils, from Waitrose)
- juice ½ lemon
- 1tbsp Parmesan, grated
- 200g (7oz) sourdough bread
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp grated Parmesan, plus 75g (3oz) shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 4 Little Gem lettuces, leaves separated
- 12 marinated anchovies
To make the dressing, mash the salted anchovies in a pestle and mortar. Add the mayo, lemon juice and Parmesan and stir to combine. Check the seasoning.
To make the croutons, tear the bread into large chunks. Heat the oven to 200C, 180C fan, 400F, gas 6, drizzle the bread with the olive oil and scatter with the grated Parmesan and some sea salt. Bake for 10 minutes until crispy but chewy on the inside.
To assemble the salad, toss the croutons through with the rest of the ingredients and dollop the dressing on top.