By Jane Curran
Usually we associate salads with the summer, but with seasonal veg available all year round it’s a shame not to make the most of the fresh ingredients that are grown in the winter to turn into delicious healthy lunch recipes.
The red cabbage in this recipe is packed with Vitamin C and Vitamin K, which are essential for keeping our immune systems topped up and contribute to overall health.
Fennel seeds not only offer a unique taste to the dish, but are also traditionally used as a remedy for indigestion, so the salad won’t leave you feeling uncomfortable or bloated for the rest of the afternoon.
Whipping it up the night before couldn’t be easier, and the fact it’s topped with goat’s cheese just gives it one more reason to look forward to lunch time.
HOW TO MAKE WINTER RED SALAD
- Mix the red cabbage and onion in a large bowl, sprinkle over the sea salt and leave to soften for 15 minutes. Rise under cold water and squeeze dry with a clean tea towel or kitchen paper. Set aside.
- Mix the balsamic, olive oil, herbs and fennel seeds together to create the dressing, season well and mix with the cabbage and onion. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- To serve, layer up the cabbage mixture with the beetroot and cucumber. Top with the goats’ cheese and pomegranate seeds and a good grinding of black pepper.
- ¾ red cabbage, core removed finely shredded
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp sea salt
- 2tbsp balsamic glaze
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 2tbsp each chopped parsley and dill
- 1½ tsp fennel seeds, toasted
- 250g vacuum-packed beetroot in natural juice, cut into wedges
- 1 cucumber, peeled, halved, deseeded and sliced
- 150g soft goats’ cheese
- 100g pomegranate seeds
The Queen had to make 'difficult decisions' for Prince Philip's funeral
In preparation for Prince Philip's funeral, the Queen has had to make some tough choices, especially when it comes to the guest list
By Rylee Johnston •
Peaky Blinders star Helen McCrory has died of cancer aged 52
Her husband, actor Damian Lewis, confirmed the sad news in a statement on Twitter
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Gwyneth Paltrow suggests vibrator necklaces and luxury bidets as Mother’s Day gifts
Gwyneth Paltrow has shared her unconventional Mother’s Day gift guide on Goop
By Emma Dooney •