For a butternut squash recipe with a difference, why not try this beautiful Thai inspired duck dish this week? Its sweet aromatic flavours really compliment the richness of the duck and the creaminess of the butternut squash adds to the array of textures in this easy recipe.
HOW TO MAKE SWEET THAI DUCK BREAST AND BUTTERNUT SALAD
for the sweet Thai dressing
- 2 limes, juiced and extra lime wedges
- 2tbsp sweet chilli dipping sauce
- 1 stick lemongrass, finely chopped
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
for the salad
- 1 butternut squash, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 1tbsp ground ginger
- 3tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 2 free-range duck breasts
- small bunch mint, roughly chopped
- small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2tbsp pumpkin seeds
- In a small bowl combine the dressing ingredients and leave for 30 minutes to allow the garlic flavour to mellow and texture to soften.
- Preheat the oven to 220 C, 200 C fan, 425 F, gas 7. Toss the butternut squash in the ground ginger, olive oil and chilli flakes and season, then roast for 15 minutes until golden and crisp.
- Heat a large frying pan on a medium to high heat, score the skin of the duck breasts just down to the flesh and season, then fry skin side down for 12 minutes until all of the fat has been rendered and the skin is crispy. Pour off the fat as necessary whilst frying, turn the duck over and fry for another 10 minutes. Leave to rest for a few minutes, then slice thinly and combine with the herbs, roasted squash and pumpkin seeds. Serve drizzled with the dressing.
Top Tip for making Sweet Thai Duck Breast and Butternut Salad
For a summer variation with less cooking, replace the roasted butternut squash with fresh mango or watermelon.
How to use jojoba oil for hair that's silky smooth to the touch
Jojoba oil for hair is one of the most lightweight and beneficial ways to revive lacklustre strands.
By Fiona Embleton •
Jane Fonda reveals she's embracing her gray hair and she looks incredible
The star said "enough is enough" in a recent appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show
By Lucy Abbersteen •
Jill Biden shares a powerful message about grief with Kelly Clarkson
Jill Biden reveals how she overcame the grief of losing her stepson, Beau Biden, to Kelly Clarkson in a candid interview
By Emma Dooney •