STORE: These caramels will keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight box.
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 175ml (6fl oz) double cream
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1tsp sea salt
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 75g (3oz) golden syrup
- 75g (3oz) maple syrup
you will need
- a small rectangular tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
- Put the vanilla extract, cream, half the butter and a pinch of salt in a pan and bring to the boil – then take it straight off the heat and set aside.
- Put the sugar and syrups in another pan to melt the sugar – don’t stir, but keep shaking the pan to keep the sugar distributed. When the sugar has melted, heat it to 155C on a sugar thermometer (this is known as hard crack stage: when syrup is dropped into cold water, it separates into hard brittle threads that cannot be bent without breaking).
- Remove from the heat; add the vanilla cream mixture. Heat to 126C (this is hard ball stage: when dripped from a spoon, the syrup forms thick threads that after being dropped in cold water can be moulded into a ball that will hold its shape).
- Add the remaining butter, stir, then pour into the tin. Leave it to get slightly firm and sticky, then sprinkle over the remaining salt. Leave it to cool. When you want to cut it into squares, use a hot-bladed knife.
Katie McLelland is a food stylist, chef, recipe developer, home economist, eater- and everything in-between. She specialises in creating recipes for social media channels to editorial and advertising content as well as the occasional bread, cake, pudding and menus in real life.
Katie is also a home economist for film and TV. Current projects including Cooking with the Stars (South Shore), Matilda (Poppet Productions), Landscapers (Sister), This Sceptered Isle (Revolution Films) and The Great season 2 (Yekaterina Uk ltd).
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Salted Caramel Roulade
By Woman and Home • Published
These petite cakes are made even prettier with bottlegreen raspberry cordial icing and a sprinkle of dried rose petals
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo
The subtle flavours in this frozen Pomegranate and elderflower semifreddo loaf are perfect for a summer dinner al fresco
By Jessica Ransom • Published
Eton mess tart
We’ve turned a traditional British pudding into a gorgeous white chocolate tart. Summer puddings don’t get any better than this Eton Mess tart.
By Rosie Conroy • Published
Queen goes off-script to reveal ‘dinner party’ plans in unusually candid moment in Scotland
The Queen stopped to make casual conversation with the public during her visit to Scotland for Royal Week, a resurfaced video has shown
By Emma Dooney • Published
Best Christmas movies on Hulu 2022 to watch now
It's time to get in the holiday spirit with the best Christmas movies on Hulu including family classics, rom coms, and brand new movies too!
By Rylee Johnston • Published
The best Christmas Hallmark movies to stream on the Hallmark Channel for 2022
With autumn upon us, there’s plenty of time to catch up on the best Christmas Hallmark movies to stream on the Hallmark Channel now…
By Anna Rahmanan • Published