STORE: These caramels will keep for a couple of weeks in an airtight box.
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 175ml (6fl oz) double cream
- 50g (2oz) butter
- 1tsp sea salt
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar
- 75g (3oz) golden syrup
- 75g (3oz) maple syrup
you will need
- a small rectangular tin, greased and lined with baking parchment
- Put the vanilla extract, cream, half the butter and a pinch of salt in a pan and bring to the boil – then take it straight off the heat and set aside.
- Put the sugar and syrups in another pan to melt the sugar – don’t stir, but keep shaking the pan to keep the sugar distributed. When the sugar has melted, heat it to 155C on a sugar thermometer (this is known as hard crack stage: when syrup is dropped into cold water, it separates into hard brittle threads that cannot be bent without breaking).
- Remove from the heat; add the vanilla cream mixture. Heat to 126C (this is hard ball stage: when dripped from a spoon, the syrup forms thick threads that after being dropped in cold water can be moulded into a ball that will hold its shape).
- Add the remaining butter, stir, then pour into the tin. Leave it to get slightly firm and sticky, then sprinkle over the remaining salt. Leave it to cool. When you want to cut it into squares, use a hot-bladed knife.
Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Katie McLelland is a food stylist, chef, recipe developer, home economist, eater- and everything in-between. She specialises in creating recipes for social media channels to editorial and advertising content as well as the occasional bread, cake, pudding and menus in real life.
Katie is also a home economist for film and TV. Current projects including Cooking with the Stars (South Shore), Matilda (Poppet Productions), Landscapers (Sister), This Sceptered Isle (Revolution Films) and The Great season 2 (Yekaterina Uk ltd).
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks Published
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith Published
Caramel Brownie Cheesecake
This Caramel Brownie Cheesecake takes a little bit of prep but the results are more than worth it!
By Jane Curran Published
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe Published
King Charles's favourite teatime snack is cheap and easy - but has a suitably on-brand twist
The King's unusual teatime snack has been revealed...
By Laura Harman Published
Nigella Lawson's famous dinner parties are canceled for the most relatable reason
Nigella Lawson's dinner parties may well be the pinnacle of home dining but the beloved chef and writer says she's not doing them anymore
By Aoife Hanna Published
The controversial Christmas decoration the Royal Family steer clear of
There's apparently a Christmas decoration the Royal Family steer clear of putting on their Christmas trees and you might not have noticed
By Emma Shacklock Published