By Jane Curran
A classic fish pie is a real treat at the weekend or would really impress your dinner party guests if you’re planning a get together, but is actually really easy to make.
Smoked haddock gives this dish a lovely smoky flavour that combines really well with the cheddar and Gruyère cheese. Creamy and indulgent, this dish is hearty and warming – perfect for a winter’s evening. Try it now and you’ll make to make it again and again.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED HADDOCK FISH PIE
- Heat the oven to 180 C, 160 C fan, 350 F, gas 4. Heat the milk, bay and peppercorns in a sauté pan, add the fish and cook for 10 minutes. Remove fish; discard the skin. Cool the liquid; strain and reserve 500ml.
- Melt the butter in a pan and cook the leek for 5 minutes. Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes; add the mustard. Gradually pour in the poaching liquid, stirring until you have a smooth sauce. Stir in the Cheddar. Scatter chunks of the fish in a large pie dish, pour over the sauce and top with the tomatoes.
- Steam the potatoes for 15 minutes. Mash with the butter and milk, then season. Spoon over the fish. Sprinkle over the Gruyère and breadcrumbs, and bake for 35 minutes.
- 850ml milk
- 1 bay leaf and 2 black peppercorns
- 800g smoked haddock
- 50g butter
- 1 leek, sliced
- 3tbsp plain flour
- 1tsp wholegrain mustard
- 150g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 2 tomatoes, sliced for the topping
- 1kg floury potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
- 50g butter
- 100ml milk
- 50g Gruyère, grated
- 2-3tbsp breadcrumbs
Top Tip for making Smoked Haddock Fish Pie
To make this fish pie extra luxurious, you could try adding chunks of salmon to it as well. Just make sure they go in raw, so you end up with perfectly cooked fish. Prawns also work really well in this dish
An eagle-eyed fan has spotted something unusual about these photographs of Prince William in Scotland
Prince William was pictured trying his hand at DIY during a royal engagement with Church Scotland during his Royal Tour last month
By Lauren Hughes •
Shop your summer wardrobe for less with woman&home vouchers
All the deals you need for some seriously savvy shopping!
By WomanAndHome Staff •
Oprah reveals the surprising reason she can’t be Lilibet’s godmother
Oprah was the original frontrunner to be Lilibet's godmother, but it looks like the legendary talk show host wants Harry and Meghan to remove her as a candidate
By Emma Dooney •