By Katy McClelland published
For a wonderful slow cooker recipe that you’ll want to try again and again, this take on a classic cottage pie is full of flavour thanks to the tasty mix of spices.
HOW TO MAKE SLOW WINTER COTTAGE PIE
- Heat the oil in a large heavy-based casserole over a medium heat. Brown the meat in batches and set aside. Cook the onion and celery in the same pan for 5 minutes or until starting to brown. Stir in the flour. Add the carrots and garlic, coriander seeds and paprika and cook for another 2 minutes. Now add the red wine and allow to bubble for 1 minute before returning the meat to the pan along with the stock pot, chopped tomatoes and Worcester sauce. Bring to the boil then reduce to a low simmer. Cook for 3 hours 30 minutes or until very tender. Season well. You can freeze at this stage or store for up to 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Heat the oven to 180C, gas 4. Fill an ovenproof dish with around three-quarters of the mixture (freeze the leftovers) and top with the mash, covering evenly. Sprinkle over the cheese and breadcrumbs and cook for 30-40 minutes or until bubbling and browned.
- 1tbsp oil
- 1kg pork shoulder, cut into cubes
- 1kg beef shin, cut into cubes
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 2tbsp seasoned flour
- 500g Chantenay carrots, trimmed
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
- ¾tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 500ml red wine
- 1 Knorr vegetable stock pot
- 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- 4tbsp Worcester sauce
- 2 x 400g packs of ready made mashed potato
- 50g mature cheddar, finely grated
- 2tbsp dried breadcrumbs
Katie McLelland is a food stylist, chef, recipe developer, home economist, eater- and everything in-between. She specialises in creating recipes for social media channels to editorial and advertising content as well as the occasional bread, cake, pudding and menus in real life.
Katie is also a home economist for film and TV. Current projects including Cooking with the Stars (South Shore), Matilda (Poppet Productions), Landscapers (Sister), This Sceptered Isle (Revolution Films) and The Great season 2 (Yekaterina Uk ltd).
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Princess Diana's legendary black sheep jumper is available as a sweater vest—it's 2022's coolest cover-up
Princess Diana delighted fans with her legendary fashion sense and now one of her most iconic pieces is available as a sweater vest
By Laura Harman • Published
Christina Ricci is actually happy about the current state of women in Hollywood
Actor Christina Ricci thinks women in Hollywood are "getting to play more and more interesting characters"
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Air signs—Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius zodiacs explained
Air signs of the zodiac are Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius—here's everything you need to know about what it means to be an air sign
By Rylee Johnston • Published