Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
How about trying an advent calendar full of gin? These are the best gin advent calendars...
- 450g (1lb) sloes
- 450g (1lb) caster or granulated sugar
- 750ml bottle gin
- small handful whole skin-on almonds (optional)
you will need
- a large sterilised glass jar with a screw-top lid
- Place the sloes in the freezer overnight for the skins to split or prick each sloe with a needle, you want the juice to bleed into the gin for the maximum flavour and colour. Place the sloes in the sterilised jar, add the sugar and top up with the gin. Add the almonds if desired.
- Agitate the jar gently to help dissolve the sugar and continue daily until all the sugar has dissolved. Place the jar in a cool, dark cupboard for a minimum of six months – but preferably a year or two.
- Sample the sloe gin after 3 months to see whether you wish to add more sugar. When ready to drink, strain the liquor through muslin and decant into sterilised bottles and label. Serve chilled in small glasses.
Top Tip for making Sloe Gin
1) The fruit pulp that is left behind after straining is great stuffed into the cavity of a duck or pheasant before roasting.2) Add a good slug of sloe gin to a plum or blackberry and apple crumble, fruit jellies or add to whipped cream to pile on meringues with a winter fruit compote.
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Retro drinks ideas from the '70s and '80s: The vintage drinks that deserve a comeback
Whether you're planning a throwback party or just reminiscing, these retro drinks ideas will take you back to a simpler time...
By Keiron George • Last updated
Why drinking gin (in moderation) is actually GOOD for you
Gin has key health benefits, when enjoyed in moderation—according to science
By Selina Maycock • Published
When do holiday drinks start at Starbucks in 2022 and what delicious treats are in store this year?
The Starbucks 2022 holiday drink and food menu is here and it includes a new treat you just have to try!
By Anna Rahmanan • Last updated