By Woman and Home published
How about trying an advent calendar full of gin? These are the best gin advent calendars...
- 450g (1lb) sloes
- 450g (1lb) caster or granulated sugar
- 750ml bottle gin
- small handful whole skin-on almonds (optional)
you will need
- a large sterilised glass jar with a screw-top lid
- Place the sloes in the freezer overnight for the skins to split or prick each sloe with a needle, you want the juice to bleed into the gin for the maximum flavour and colour. Place the sloes in the sterilised jar, add the sugar and top up with the gin. Add the almonds if desired.
- Agitate the jar gently to help dissolve the sugar and continue daily until all the sugar has dissolved. Place the jar in a cool, dark cupboard for a minimum of six months – but preferably a year or two.
- Sample the sloe gin after 3 months to see whether you wish to add more sugar. When ready to drink, strain the liquor through muslin and decant into sterilised bottles and label. Serve chilled in small glasses.
Top Tip for making Sloe Gin
1) The fruit pulp that is left behind after straining is great stuffed into the cavity of a duck or pheasant before roasting.2) Add a good slug of sloe gin to a plum or blackberry and apple crumble, fruit jellies or add to whipped cream to pile on meringues with a winter fruit compote.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Megan Fox's engagement ring proves eccentric styles are in and classics like Kate Middleton's are out
Megan Fox's stunning engagement ring is one of the many celebrity rings that shows that the classic styles of the past are out of style
By Laura Harman • Published
Prince Harry's hint at royal defiance and feud with William when Princess Diana was still alive
A remark Prince Harry made as a child was an eerie indication of what was to come for him
By Caitlin Elliott • Published
Full moon rituals—how to harness lunar energy and set intentions
Full moon rituals should be tailored to the sign they fall under so you can gain the most from each lunation to help you move forward
By Aoife Hanna • Published