By Jane Curran
Salmon soufflé is an impressive smoked salmon starter that will wow any guest sitting around your table over the festive period. Smoked salmon is a Christmas staple so why not jazz things up a little and bake this amazing salmon soufflé or just use up your leftover smoked salmon trimmings.
HOW TO MAKE SALMON SOUFFLE
- 50g butter
- 50g plain flour
- 300ml milk
- 4 eggs, separated
- 50g grated Gruyère
- 100g smoked salmon trimmings
for the second bake
- 200ml double cream
- 75g finely grated Gruyère
- 8 small slices of smoked salmon and fresh dill, to serve
you will need
- 8 small metal pudding basins or ramekins, buttered
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat then stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes without letting it brown.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and cook until it thickens. Let it cool for a few minutes, then whisk in the egg yolks. Add the 50g Gruyère and the smoked salmon trimmings. Beat the egg whites until stiff. Add a spoonful of egg whites to the flour mix to loosen, then fold in the rest. Make sure you use a metal spoon so that all the air doesn’t come out of the egg whites. Divide between the basins, leaving 1cm to rise.
- Bake at 200C, for 15 minutes until risen and browned. Remove from the oven. They will sink but don’t worry!
- Remove from the basins and pop each into small ovenproof dishes or in one dish lined with baking parchment so you can lift them out. Pour over the cream and sprinkle over the Gruyère. Turn up the oven to 220C, and bake for another 10 minutes until the cheese has melted. Serve each topped with a bit smoked salmon and dill.
British politicians urge Boris Johnson to give Prince Philip a £190 million royal yacht memorial
A Royal Yacht Brittania has been proposed as a memorial for the Duke of Edinburgh
By Emma Dooney •
Promising Young Woman is the latest must-watch movie everyone's talking about, here's how to see the BAFTA winner at home
Here’s everything you need to know about where to watch Promising Young Woman
By Laura Harman •
Amanda Seyfried reveals how life in the spotlight has lead to terrifying panic attacks
The Oscar-nominee explained it ‘feels like life or death’
By Emma Shacklock •