- For the burgers:
- 500g salmon fillet, skinned and cut into chunks
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and roughly chopped
- zest of 1 lime, plus lime wedges, to serve
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 5cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 free-range egg white
- 2tsp rice flour or cornflour
- 4tbsp breadcrumbs
- 1tsp wasabi paste
- 1tbsp soy sauce
- For the wasabi slaw:
- 100g mayonnaise
- 2tsp wasabi paste
- 2 large carrots, ribbon peeled
- red cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 cucumber, ribbon-peeled
For the burgers, put all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until the texture is similar to that of mince. Shape into 4 evenly sized burgers and put on a lined baking tray. If the mixture is a bit sticky, dampen your hands to help with the shaping. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes or overnight before cooking.
For the slaw, combine the mayo and wasabi paste and set aside. Prepare the carrots, cabbage and spring onion, mix with the wasabi mayo, season to taste and refrigerate. Slice the cucumber into matchstick-sized pieces when you’re cooking the burgers and add it to the slaw at the last minute to prevent the slaw from becoming soggy.
Grill the burgers for 7-10 minutes on a medium heat, turning halfway through, until they are golden and firm and springy to the touch. Serve immediately with the wasabi slaw and wedges of lime.