For a Spring dessert recipe that's sure to put a smile on everyone's face, try this delicious rhubarb and custard tart this week.
HOW TO MAKE RHUBARB AND CUSTARD TART
- 200g shortcrust pasty (we used Marie La Pate Brisse from ocado.com)
- 1 large free-range egg, beaten
For the rhubarb:
- 800g rhubarb, cut into 4cm lengths
- 25g caster sugar
For the filling:
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- 2 large free-range eggs
- 175g caster sugar
- 1tbsp cornflour
- 450ml double cream
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- zest and juice ½ lemon
You will need:
- deep 20cm tart tin
- baking beans
- Roll out the pastry to the thickness of a £1 coin (Marie La Pate Brisse comes ready rolled) then line the tin keeping a little excess over the edges. Press into the sides and base well and prick the base gently with a fork. Set aside in the fridge for 20 minutes or the freezer for 10 minutes. Heat the oven to 190C, gas 5.
- Place the rhubarb, sugar and a splash of water in a wide saucepan, bring to the boil and simmer gently for 8 minutes or until tender but still holding its shape, drain and set aside to cool.
- Line the tart case with tin foil and fill with baking beans, cook for 15 minutes, remove the beans and foil, brush the base and lower sides with egg and cook for another 10 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly, then trim the excess pastry from the edges using a sharp knife.
- Reduce the oven to 160C, gas 3. Using an electric whisk, mix the egg yolks with the sugar until just thick and creamy, mix in the cornflour until combined then mix in the remaining ingredients until smooth.
- Spread the rhubarb pieces over the base of the tart to create and even layer, pour over the custard filling and bake for 1 hour 15 minutes or until just set with a slight wobble in the middle. Allow to cool and set before serving.
Line of Duty star reveals serious season 6 twist - are you ready for this?
This is one twist we didn’t see coming...
By Emma Shacklock •
Why does Gabrielle cover one eye and what are the effects of ptosis?
Gabrielle was recently un-masked on The Masked Singer
By Georgia Farquharson •
Boy Smells: The most popular candle brand on Instagram has just launched a fragrance collection
Boy Smells fragrances are as ground-breaking as they are heavenly to smell
By Fiona Embleton •