By Rosie Conroy
This delicious pineapple and coconut cake is a twist on a traditional upside down bake. We’ve used fresh pineapple instead of the usual tinned version, which gives a much more subtle flavour and a slightly more tart, grown-up finish. For an extra hit we’ve added coconut rum, which is sure to transport you to a sunny beach somewhere (even if just for the few minutes you’re enjoying your slice of cake!) Pineapple and coconut cake brings two classically tropical flavours together in the perfect mix, giving you that moreish sweet, sour combination. If you love coconut you can give this cake an extra final hit of coconut by whisking 200ml double cream with 50ml coconut cream. Serve it just as you would double cream – the perfect tropical cake topper!
- ½ pineapple, cut into small wedges
- 2tbsp coconut rum
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 175g self-raising flour
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 3tbsp milk
You will need:
- 20 cm springform cake tin
- Cover the pineapple in coconut rum and leave for one hour, or overnight. Heat a griddle pan and cook the pineapple on each side for a couple of minutes, until golden and caramelised. Set aside.
- Grease and line a 20cm springform cake tin. Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in an electric mixer. Gradually beat in the egg. Fold in the flour, coconut and milk by hand until you have a soft dropping consistency.
- Arrange the pineapple slices in the bottom of the lined tin. Pour over the cake mixture. Bake for 1 hour, until cooked through and springy to the touch.
Top Tip for making Pineapple and coconut cake
To serve this delicious cake as a pudding dish it up while still warm, and top with custard.
This 25% off Black Friday electric scooter discount is big enough to get me over my fear of looking like an idiot
I'll be zipping around in no time with this amazing Black Friday electric scooter deal – so who cares about age?
By Faye M Smith •
I think Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream should be compulsory over 30 - and it's 25% off for Black Friday
If you think there's no such thing as a perfect moisturiser, you've never met Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream
By Fiona McKim •
The HUGE discount on this sex toy for Black Friday is the push I need to finally give pegging a go
This Black Friday sex toy bargain is certainly tempting, that's for sure. But will it mean pegging is on the cards?
By Faye M Smith •