If you love the flavours of traditional Christmas cake then you're going to adore this quick and easy cheat's version - perfect for when you don't have much time but still want to make something yourself to enjoy over the festivities. We've kept the classic icing of marzipan and fondant to add taste and texture - as well as to help preserve the sponge's softness. We like ours served up with a cup of tea around 4pm, you should give it a go and no doubt you'll agree, it's a rather nice way to spend an afternoon!
HOW TO MAKE A CHRISTMAS CAKE TRAY BAKE
This will keep for 2-3 weeks in a cake tin.
If liked, drizzle the united cake with a little brandy or rum to give extra flavour.
Find more Christmas cake recipes
- 125g (4 1/2 oz) butter, softened
- 125g (4 1/2oz ) golden caster sugar
- 3 small eggs
- 150g (5 oz) plain flour
- 500g (11b 2oz) mixed dried fruits
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tbsp warmed, sieved apricot jam
- 300g (10oz) marzipan
- 200g (7oz) royal icing sugar
- silver sugar balls or cake decorations
you will need
- a 7x11 inch rectangular tray bake tin, lined with baking parchment
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C, 150C fan, gas 5.
- Place the butter and sugar in a mixing bowl and beat until really light and creamy, gradually beat in the eggs. Fold in the flour, fruit and spice to give a soft dropping consistency.
- Bake for 45-50 mins until just firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely.
- Brush with apricot jam then roll out the marzipan on a lightly dusted work surface. Spread the top of the cake thinly with jam then press the marzipan on top.
- Make up the royal icing sugar as directed on the pack, then place in a small piping bag, snip the end and drizzle over the cake. Decorate with sprinkles then cut into slices.
Le Creuset’s Unbreakable Enamelware Collection is perfect for "oops proof" outdoor dining
Summertime is practically here which means picnics and BBQs galore. To prepare for all our favorite summer foods check out Le Creuset's dishes set on sale now
By Rylee Johnston •
Experts claim Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's daughter will play this important role in the royal family
Do you agree?
By Danielle Valente •
Are Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck rekindling their romance? Here's what we know about the return of "Bennifer"
Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck have been spotted spending a lot more time together since her split from Alex Rodriguez in April, which has sparked rumors of a potential rekindling
By Rylee Johnston •