This colourful dish is bursting with flavour and is a super simple way to mix up your usual casserole recipe.
With its red onions, red peppers and a yellow pepper, you’re getting a rainbow of your five a day, while the olives, white wine and sundried tomato paste in this recipe invoke those classic Mediterranean tastes.
This casserole recipe is really easy to make ahead and freeze in batches, so if you want to pack the freezer full of amazing meals that are nutritious, give this one a go and you can simply defrost and enjoy it at a later date.
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN BEEF CASSEROLE
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 750g (1lb 10oz) very lean stewing steak, cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into thick wedges
- 2 red peppers, cut into thick slices
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into thick slices
- 600g (1lb 5oz) ripe plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 300ml (½pt) red wine
- 150g (5oz) mixed olives, drained
- 6tbsp fresh oregano, chopped, plus extra for serving
- 2 heads garlic, halved
- Heat the oven to 190 C, 170 C fan, 375 F, gas 5. Heat the oil in a roasting tin. Brown the beef in batches over a medium heat for 5 minutes, then set aside. In the same roasting tin, fry the onions and peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and 150ml (¼pt) water, then season. Cover with foil, bake in the oven for 1 hour, then remove foil and bake for a further hour. Scatter with oregano leaves and serve.
- Freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. This can be defrosted slowly in the fridge and then reheated in the microwave, if liked.
Sharon Stone saw a 'tunnel of light' in 'very beautiful' near-death experience after stroke
Sharon Stone shared shocking details of her near-death experience on the Late Late Show with James Corden
By Emma Dooney •
Prince Louis was first royal to miss out on this huge privilege after Queen’s big decision
Prince Louis has faced the results of the Queen's big change to royal protocol
By Caitlin Elliott •
Amy Adams reveals the surprising hobby Meryl Streep taught her to help ease her ‘energetic’ disposition on-set of Doubt
Amy Adams has shared how Meryl Streep calmed her down on the set of Doubt by teaching her an age-old pastime
By Emma Dooney •