This colourful dish is bursting with flavour and is a super simple way to mix up your usual casserole recipe.
With its red onions, red peppers and a yellow pepper, you’re getting a rainbow of your five a day, while the olives, white wine and sundried tomato paste in this recipe invoke those classic Mediterranean tastes.
This casserole recipe is really easy to make ahead and freeze in batches, so if you want to pack the freezer full of amazing meals that are nutritious, give this one a go and you can simply defrost and enjoy it at a later date.
HOW TO MAKE MEDITERRANEAN BEEF CASSEROLE
- Heat the oven to 190 C, 170 C fan, 375 F, gas 5. Heat the oil in a roasting tin. Brown the beef in batches over a medium heat for 5 minutes, then set aside. In the same roasting tin, fry the onions and peppers for 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients and 150ml (¼pt) water, then season. Cover with foil, bake in the oven for 1 hour, then remove foil and bake for a further hour. Scatter with oregano leaves and serve.
- Freeze in airtight containers for up to 3 months. This can be defrosted slowly in the fridge and then reheated in the microwave, if liked.
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 750g (1lb 10oz) very lean stewing steak, cut into large chunks
- 2 red onions, cut into thick wedges
- 2 red peppers, cut into thick slices
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into thick slices
- 600g (1lb 5oz) ripe plum tomatoes, quartered
- 2tbsp sundried tomato paste
- 300ml (½pt) red wine
- 150g (5oz) mixed olives, drained
- 6tbsp fresh oregano, chopped, plus extra for serving
- 2 heads garlic, halved
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare look inside her home
Princess Anne told to ‘de-clutter’ her home after she shares rare view with fans
By Selina Maycock •
How you drink your coffee affects your skin, say dermatologists
Could your coffee be having a negative effect on your skin?
By Fiona Embleton •
Why Prince William's birthday this year will mark such an important milestone this year - and it affects us all
Prince William's birthday this year is likely to see the country celebrating like never before
By Emma Dooney •