- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 125g (4½oz) cooked smoked or unsmoked ham, finely diced
- 200g (7oz) spaghetti (we used De Cecco)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1tbsp Parmesan, finely grated, plus extra to serve
- 1tbsp flat-leaved parsley, finely chopped
Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until soft but without colour. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute, then add the ham and stir well. Season well.
Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions. Drain the pasta, reserving a ladleful of the cooking water. Add the pasta to the onions and ham, and quickly pour over the eggs and Parmesan, stirring continuously. There should be enough heat from the pasta to cook the eggs without them scrambling. If the pasta seems a little dry, add a little of the reserved cooking water to loosen it. Stir though the parsley and divide the pasta equally between 2 warmed pasta bowls. Serve with extra Parmesan on the side.