By Rosie Conroy
Chicken cacciatore is a rich Italian stew made with red wine, anchovies and herbs – absolutely delicious. This beautiful chicken cacciatore recipe is made with chicken that is marinated over night in red wine for a rich flavour and signature colour too. This process makes the meat even more tender too, helping it to fall off the bone once everything is cooked. If you don’t usually eat meat on the bone, give it a try with this cacciatore recipe. Because everything is slow cooked the meat comes off the bone without any resistance and having the bones in the stew gives lots of gorgeous chicken flavour to the sauce too. We love this served up with green beans and mashed potatoes, but it’s also delicious with polenta or rice.
- Cover the chicken in the red wine and herbs, and add 1 sliced garlic clove. Leave to marinate for at least 2 hrs, or overnight if possible.
- Heat the oven to 180C, Gas Mark 4.
- Drain the chicken from the marinating liquid (reserving it for cooking). Dust the chicken in flour and season well. Add the oil to a large pan and fry the chicken, skin side down, for 5 mins until golden. Remove from the pan.
- Add the onion, anchovies and remaining garlic, and fry for 2 mins on a low heat until golden. Stir through all the tomatoes, the tomato paste, reserved marinade and olives. Add the chicken skin side up and bake, uncovered, for 1 hr, until the chicken skin is golden and the meat is cooked through. Serve with green beans.
- 6 skin-on, bone-in free-range chicken thighs
- 300ml red wine
- ½ bunch each thyme, oregano and rosemary
- 8 bay leaves
- 8 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 2tbsp flour
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 6 anchovy fillets
- 2 x 400g cans plum tomatoes
- 200g fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2tbsp sun-dried tomato paste
- 200g mixed olives
The Not On The High Street Black Friday sale is here and you can save up to 50%
The Not On The High Street Black Friday sale is epic and not to be missed.
By Lizzie Thomson •
Aldi Black Friday sale – deals on the iRobot Roomba hoover, Apple AirPods and Nintendo Switch online NOW
The Aldi Black Friday sale is here - but be quick if you want the deals!
By Amy Hunt •
The best Black Friday weighted blanket deals to help ease your anxiety and relieve stress
Take a look at our round-up of the best Black Friday weighted blanket deals
By Amy Hunt •