Rich, flavoursome and full of comfort – this Rioja and chicken stew is the ultimate one-pot winner
Our Rioja chicken stew is hearty and wholesome. The rich wine is absorbed into the cooking chorizo and the potatoes become deliciously soft. While chicken is often paired with white wine, we think the thighs are robust enough to hold their own with this fruity Rioja. By adding the wine late in the cooking it keeps a lot of the fresh flavours. The Rioja chicken stew could be served on it’s own or with rice but our favourite way to serve it is with fresh crusty bread, which can be used to soak up the remaining liquid in our bowls! Although we have used skin on chicken thighs, you might prefer to use boneless and skinless.
- Heat the oil in a large pot and cook the chicken skin side down for 5 mins until golden brown, then cook for another 5 on the other side. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cook the onions until soft, then add the chorizo, peppers and smoked paprika.
- Add the tinned tomatoes, stock, potatoes and thyme springs, simmer for 20 mins. Add the wine and reduce by a third then add the olives and chicken and cook for another 30mins or until the chicken is cooked through. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle over the remaining thyme leaves.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 500g skin on chicken thighs
- 1 onion, sliced into half moons
- 100g cooking chorizo, sliced
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and sliced
- 1tsp smoked paprika
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400g baby new potatoes
- 200ml chicken stock
- 10g sprigs thyme, plus 2tbsp leaves to garnish
- 300ml Rioja
- 100g green olives
Top Tip for making Rioja and chicken stew with chorizo and potato
Serve with fresh crusty bread to soak up all the sauces!
Prince Harry reportedly 'wants to be there' for the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee celebrations after stepping down as a working royal
The situation is supposedly already causing a ‘headache’
By Emma Shacklock •
Oprah's failed attempts to secure Princess Diana interview revealed
Oprah had desperately tried to convince Princess Diana to agree to an interview during the height of her royal fame
By Emma Dooney •
Who is in the Unforgotten series 4 cast and what can we expect from the new series of the ITV drama?
The fourth series of the ITV drama Unforgotten finally returns tonight
By Laura Harman •