Prince Harry and Meghan Markle have released a new statement answering a series of questions that have been posed since they stepped down from their royal roles - including where he now stands in the line of succession to the throne.
- The couple clarified where Prince Harry stands in the line of succcession, something that had been causing a lot of confusion among royal fans.
- They also revealed what their next royal engagements will be, confirming they will be in the UK later this month.
- This follows royal news (opens in new tab) that the Queen has reportedly banned them from using the Sussex Royal brand in commercial ventures (opens in new tab).
Ever since Harry and Meghan revealed they would be stepping down from their ‘senior’ roles in the (opens in new tab)royal family, lots of questions about their future have been floating around unanswered.
The Queen announced a transition period (opens in new tab) back in January and promised more answers by March, which is why the couple have now issued a statement explaining exactly what will happen now.
Is Harry still in line to the throne and what will their titles be going forward?
This has been one of the biggest questions since their announcement. Can Prince Harry retain his position in the throne succession while stepping back from royal life and pursuing financial independence?
In the statement, a spokesperson confirmed that his place has not changed as a result of the royal split.
“As the grandson of Her Majesty and second son of The Prince of Wales, Prince Harry remains sixth in the line of succession, and The Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s status in the Order of Precedence is unchanged,” a spokesperson for the couple said.
They also clarified what their titles will be going forward, saying, “The Duke and Duchess of Sussex will formally retain their ‘HRH’ styles, but they will not actively use them. They will continue to be known as The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, as well as by their titles of The Earl and Countess of Dumbarton and The Baron and Baroness Kilkeel.”
Can Harry and Meghan still be called ‘royal’?
A definitive answer has not been provided on this, as discussions are still taking place as to whether the couple could still be referred to as royal if they take up commercial projects.
“As The Duke and Duchess are stepping back as senior Members of the Royal Family, and will work towards financial independence, use of the word ‘Royal’, in this context, needed to be reviewed. Discussions are still ongoing, however, a change will be announced alongside the launch of their new non-profit organization,” their spokesperson said.
When will we next see Harry and Meghan?
It’s been confirmed the couple will return to the UK for a series of engagements. Harry's first will be on February 28 alongside singer Jon Bon Jovi, followed by the Silverstone Experience opening with Formula One driver Lewis Hamilton on March 6; and the London Marathon on April 26.
Harry and Meghan will also attend the Endeavour Fund Awards on March 5; the Mountbatten Music Festival at the Royal Albert Hall on March 7; and the Commonwealth Service at Westminster Abbey on Commonwealth Day on March 9.
Meghan will also have a solo engagement on on March 8 to mark International Women’s Day.
The couple will also take part in Harry’s Invictus Games held in The Hague, Netherlands in May.
Will Harry and Meghan keep their patronages?
This was up in the air, especially after members from the royals’ patronages revealed they were not informed of Harry and Meghan’s plans until they made the news of the split public.
But now it’s been confirmed that they will continue to work with their existing patronages, as well as establishing a new charitable organisation.
“The Duke and Duchess will be spending their time in both the United Kingdom and North America,” the spokesperson added. “In addition to continuing to work closely with their existing patronages as they build a plan for engagements in the U.K. and the Commonwealth throughout the year, The Duke and Duchess have also been undertaking meetings as part of their ongoing work to establish a new non-profit organisation. The details of this new organisation will be shared later in the year.
“In general, the themes of their cause related work will remain unchanged, which includes the Commonwealth, community, youth empowerment and mental health, collectively.”
Can we expect any more changes?
Meghan and Harry’s spokesperson added that the new model of working and eventual financial independence will be reviewed after a year, as it’s not been done before.
That review, expected to take place next year, will ensure the arrangement works for all parties, so more changes could be announced.
Mariana is the editor of My Imperfect Life. She has previously worked for lifestyle titles including GoodtoKnow covering all aspects of women’s lifestyle - from the Royal Family, beauty and fashion to wellness and travel. She was nominated for AOP Digital Journalist of the Year in 2020, and for New Digital Talent of the Year at the 2016 PPA Digital Awards. She’s mildly obsessed with TV (reality TV shows included) and spends far too much time planning her next trip away.
The Empress true story: What Queen is the Netflix show based on?
New Netflix TV show The Empress dissects the tragic life of the late Empress Elisabeth of Austria
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
King Charles III's coronation ceremony could feature £3.5billion worth of jewels
King Charles III could have a whopping £3.5billion worth of jewels in his coronation ceremony in 2023
By Robyn Morris • Published