Piers Morgan admits that he could be leaving Good Morning Britain next year

  • We earn a commission for products purchased through some links in this article.
  • Piers Morgan has revealed that he could be leaving Good Morning Britain next year.

    The outspoken journalist, who presents the morning news show alongside his ITV co-host Susanna Reid, has admitted that this could “possibly” be his last year on the popular breakfast programme.

    It came as he and Susanna were discussing their upcoming breaks from the show, announcing to fans that tomorrow would be their last day presenting the morning segment for a long while.

    Piers and Susanna will be taking a summer break from Thursday and won’t be returning to screens until September.

    View this post on Instagram

    Haircut Monday!

    A post shared by Piers Morgan (@piersmorgan) on

    “We have two more days left, then you’ll all be glad to see the back of us,” revealed Piers to viewers, before clarifying, “Not forever, we’ll be back in September.”

    Susanna added, “For now! Whenever you say we’re off and we’re leaving, people think ‘Woohoo is that forever?’”, as Piers chimed in, “Morgan quits! Good riddance!”.

    The star then went on to make the admission that his time on the show could be coming to an end relatively soon.

    Piers read out a letter from a viewer, which partly read, “I thought I heard you state you were leaving at the end of the year.”

    MORE: Susanna Reid reveals the secret behind her ‘TV marriage’ to Piers Morgan

    He then responded, “I’m not actually,” before adding, “End of next year… possibly.”

    Susanna then joked, “Contract negotiations underway.”

    The two presenters will stick around until tomorrow, when they will welcome fellow Good Morning Britain host Kate Garraway onto the show.

    Kate has been absent from the screen since the outbreak of the coronavirus pandemic as her husband suffered from complications after contracting the illness.

    View this post on Instagram

    Thank you so much to @hellomag for helping me to bring you some of my hopes and plans for the future. The future we are really hoping for , Derek recovering & coming home is not nearly in sight & very uncertain. But it feels positive to share how we are trying to keep ourselves going as I know so many are dealing with terrible challenges in all sorts of ways as we all try to emerge from these ghastly times, just as we continue to hope Derek can emerge from his minimum state of consciousness. I hope reading this helps in some way . Thank you everyone for your lovely good wishes and for sending me your stories of how you’ve been coping too. I hope that some of the @hellomag piece brings some comfort – we’re all in this together. For all of you messaging me on clubgarraway.com who are also having a rough time, keep the hope alive and keep moving forwards. I will be sharing more there soon.

    A post shared by Kate Garraway (@kategarraway) on

    Earlier this week, the duo gave an update on Kate’s husband Derek Draper, revealing that there is still a “very slow and uncertain path” ahead of him after it was revealed just days ago that he had come out of his coma.

    “It’s probably not quite as positive of a story that the papers might believe, and so we have a little clarification from Kate’s representative,” said Piers.

    “He says: ‘These headlines have a level of optimism that may not yet be justified.

    “‘We hope, as does Kate, that there will be more evidence of a recovery. But it will be a very slow and uncertain path’”.

    Latest Stories

    NAV BUG FIX