Sign up to our free daily email for the latest royal and entertainment news, interesting opinion, expert advice on styling and beauty trends, and no-nonsense guides to the health and wellness questions you want answered.
Thank you for signing up to . You will receive a verification email shortly.
There was a problem. Please refresh the page and try again.
It has been announced that the UK X Factor has been cancelled by ITV after more than 17 years on our screens.
X Factor was first aired in 2004 with original judges Simon Cowell, Sharon Osborne, and Louis Walsh.
The show last officially took to Brits' screens with its 2018 series with judges Simon Cowell, Louis Tomlinson, Robbie Williams, and Ayda Field.
Despite the show's longevity and undeniable success, it has been revealed that there are plans to axe the program.
You may also like...
ITV released a statement to woman&home confirming, "There are no current plans for the next series of The X Factor at this stage."
Meanwhile an X Factor insider told The Sun, "Globally, it is still a phenomenon and rakes in millions every year. But in the UK, there is no question it has become slightly stale.
"Simon remains at the top of his game and knows how to make a hit. He owns the rights to the show, and it’s his call—not ITV’s—whether or not he drops it.
"Clearly the last thing he wants is for X-Factor to fizzle out with a whimper and become a bit of a joke—especially in contrast to the show in its pomp."
Fans have been shocked by this news and many are devastated that their favorite show has been cancelled.
A number of former X Factor contestants have also publicly responded to the news, with some expressing their happiness that the iconic talent search seems to have officially come to an end in the UK.
Jack Remmington, who competed in series 14 of the show with his friend Joel as a duo 'Jack and Joel,' took to Twitter to share his feelings about this news.
Jack said sarcastically on Twitter, "So sad The X Factor has officially ended. Had such a wonderful & supportive journey on that show.
"My favourite moment was when Simon, my mentor, told us when we were kicked out the live shows that ‘it was such a shame as he was just starting to like us’. Such a nice man."
Former contestant Katie Waissel, who was on the show in 2010, also retweeted the news that the X Factor has been cancelled, but she did not add a personal reaction.
Katie recently alleged that she was sexually assaulted by an X Factor team member in a hotel room, while she was on the show.
Speaking to The Sun earlier this year, Katie claimed, "I can still smell him. I was paralysed with shock. All I could think was, 'How am I going to leave this room?'
"I was a victim but I wouldn't allow myself to recognise just how terrible it had been."
Responding to the claims at the time, a spokesperson for Syco Entertainment said, "We were made aware via the media of Katie's claims in Autumn 2017 and we immediately contacted her and began an investigation.
"We were naturally shocked at the allegations and wanted to do anything we could to help – so we asked her to lodge a complaint with us and detail the allegations for that purpose. In the interim we suspended the accused.
"Despite a number of requests to Katie asking her to detail the claims to us, she chose not to make a complaint over his behaviour.
"As a result, and without other evidence to the contrary, we were obliged to accept his denial of the claims.
"We, of course, remain ready and keen to investigate her claims if she so chooses to detail them to us and even though the alleged perpetrator no longer works for either Syco or Sony Music."
John and Edward Grimes, who are best known as 'Jedward,' competed on X Factor in 2009 on the sixth series of the show. The double act took to social media to share their reaction to the news.
"X Factor has been axed Mission Complete," said a tweet posted by the pair on Twitter.
Xfactor has been axed Mission Complete 🙌🏻July 28, 2021
John and Edward have previously spoken about the mistreatment they claim to have faced as contestants on X Factor, in a series of social media posts.
"The biggest regret in life was not telling the judges on X factor to f**k off," read one comment from the Irish duo.
After a series of tweets disparaging the X Factor and Simon Cowell's associated entertainment company, Syco, the pair also tweeted. "Facts are facts we’re putting ourselves in a very dangerous position speaking out! Victims in the music industry need to be heard! Fans have known for years!"
They have been reached for comment about the alleged mistreatment of former contestants, but have yet to respond.
Laura is a news writer for woman&home who primarily covers entertainment and celebrity news. Laura dabbles in lifestyle, royal, beauty, and fashion news, and loves to cover anything and everything to do with television and film. She is also passionate about feminism and equality and loves writing about gender issues and feminist literature.
Laura loves drinking and eating and can often be found trying to get reservations at London's trendiest restaurants. When she's not wining and dining, Laura can also be found travelling, baking, and hiking with her dog.
Full Moon February 2023 in Leo is lighting up major relationship drama for these signs
Your Full Moon February 2023 horoscope for this fierce and feisty Full Moon which could spell trouble in paradise - so be prepared!
By Maria Sofia Marmanides • Published
Best jeans brands to shop in 2023
Want to know the best jeans brands to shop this year? Our fashion expert shares her favorites for quality and style
By Antonia Kraskowski • Published