Feel figure fabulous this spring with our need to know guide about how to dress if you have an apple shaped body. Don't just hide away in drab unflattering clothes; give your style a serious shake up. Trust us, you won't only look incredible, but you'll feel amazing too. When it comes to trends comfort comes first, if a certain style doesn't suit you, then avoid it. There's nothing worse than feeling uncomfortable in an outfit. Instead, invest in luxe basics that you can re-wear year after year, and treat the trends as a small update every new season. So whether it's the new must have bag or the ‘it' print parading down the catwalk, just give the trends a small nod with a handful of items.
For the basics, no matter what shape you are, make sure that they are fully flattering for you figure. A key knowledge in what shapes and styles suit you is a must, especially if you have a tricky silhouette, like an apple shaped body. Not to worry though, because have an expert guide of how to do it. So have a browse through our ultimate style guide for an apple shaped body.
- The must have spring throw-over you need in your wardrobe is a long-line sleeveless jacket. It will automatically streamline your centre creating a totally slimmer middle, the dream right? For a contouring effect, pick black.
(from left to right)
- When it comes to jeans, straight or bootcuts are perfect for emphasizing your slim pins, and won't make your entire shape look mis-shaped (avoiding the lollypop stick look). Make sure they have a higher rise and sit comfortably around your middle. A high waist with built in support will give you that extra pinch.
Buy now for £19.50, Marks and Spencer
- The less cling the better when it comes to dresses and tops. A terrific tunis is your shape superhero, whether a top or dress, the free-flowing shape will glide over your tum. Very forgiving on a rounder middle and completely comfortable. Choose breathable cotton for the warmer days ahead (fingers crossed).
(From left to right)
£325, By Malene Birger.
- Avoid horizontal stripes; they will make you look larger rather than smaller. Instead always choose lengthening vertical stripes on your dresses or tops.
Buy now for
£49.95 at United Colors of Benetton
- When it comes to prints, the bigger and more graphic the better. Avoid smaller ones at all costs because they can make you look larger.
Buy now for £40 at Next.
- Know your secret weapon. A wear your own bra body will give you all of the slimming support you need.
Buy now for £32 at Maidenform at Figleaves.
- Up your accessories. Lengthen your torso with a long pendant necklace or skinny scarf. Or look for bags with longer straps and work them cleverly across your body.
- A clever cocoon is the spring coat for you. Easy to wear and a must for an apple shaped body. The loose shape won't cinch around your stomach, and it's still smart enough to wear for a special occasion. We say let this coat do all of the talking, and pick a super fancy one that will last for years to come.
Buy now for £455 at Weekend Max Mara at Harrods