The No. 1 beauty buys and no-stress how-tos for radiant skin, lush lashes, sexy lips… shine out through every celebration occasion!
The Top-Impact Festive Fix
Wake up skin with a mini massage.
Prep lips for colour with a nourishing balm.
Don’t forget the décolletage! Sweep on bronze for sexy skin.
CHOOSE A BOLDER LIP
Just about the easiest lip application ever, Benefit They’re Real! Double The Lip in Revved Up Red (part of the Big Sexy Lip Kit, £24.50), is a lipliner and lipstick in one. Shaped like a teardrop, the tip is the liner, the base a long-wear cherry red; it glides on in one kissproof stain. Dab, then apply again for a deeper tone.
BAT AN EYE
Yes, insta-fix false lashes are a great way to exaggerate lashes to the max (preferably using transparent glue Ardell LashGrip Clear Adhesive, £3.99), but I’m always wary before a big night.
For guaranteed fat lashes that simply wash away, my all-nighter must-have super-smudge-proof mascara of choice is Clinique Lash Power Flutter-to Full, £20.
COVER UP… PERFECTLY
“Focused concealing” is the way to cover up, and the Cover FX Perfect Pencil, £15 at Harvey Nichols, is your ideal, do-it-all precision tool that conceals imperfections, defines your lip line, shapes the arch of your brow and, along the waterline, will brighten your eyes.
Avoid frosty pastel metallics, go for more bronzy-gold shades on skin, eyes and body. Backstage for S/S17 this MAC Extra Dimension Skinfinish in Beaming Blush, £24, was applied like an eyeshadow meets highlighter in an ethereal swathe of gorgeousness. Place it how and where you want, you will not be disappointed.
DEFINE YOUR BROWS
Keep eyes nude for sure, but definitely do your brows. This will give warmth and definition to your face, especially if you wear glasses. Just loving the super-nifty 3-in-1 new Estée Lauder The Brow Multitasker, £21, an angled crayon, brush and brow powder in one. Love Charlotte Tilbury Legendary Brows Sculpt & Shade Gel, £18.50, to groom and define in seconds.
Keep these on hand for those nights when you didn’t plan to go out:
– Just one iridescent coat of nail polish will glam up any outfit: Mavala Disco Nail Polishes in Let’s Dance or Night Fever, £4.95 each at John Lewis.
– No time for a mani? Ditch the polish completely and use Superdrug Fashion Nails, £2.99 each.
– Add a slick of glitter eyeliner over your favourite eye make-up to jazz up your look. Try Studio London Glitter Eye Liner, £6 for five.
– Quick refresh? Soft & Gentle 2-in-1 Shower & Shave Mousse, £3.99 at Boots, leaves skin so nourished there’s no need to massage in any body lotion.
– Clever kit to keep in the bottom of your bag that takes cheeks from day to night in a flash: Makeup Revolution Handbag Hacks Strobe, Light and Cheek, £4 from Superdrug. Perfect for on-the-go touch-ups.
Wash light into your hair with Pro:Voke Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo, £3.19; this violet shampoo, designed for brightening blondes and grey by removing brassy tones caused by metals in the water, actually brightens all hair colours.
Make your skin look flawless, whatever light you’re in.
– SHIMMER TIME. All skins suit a more dewy glow for evening. Welcome the long-awaited MAC Strobe Cream, £24.50, available in four new shades, including Goldlite and Redlite, to lift, brighten and colour correct. Take a pea-size drop and massage directly into your skin or blend with your fave foundation, focusing on cheekbones, forehead or bridge of the nose.
– ORDER, ORDER! According to every make-up artist I’ve worked with, always apply your face base make-up like this: colour corrector first (if you need it), foundation, then concealer. This way, you use the heaviest product last and therefore least, with concealer as the finishing touch rather than covering everything like a mask.
– REMEMBER. Always apply skin make-up with downward strokes, not up. This prevents highlighting any hairs on the cheeks. At a certain age, especially peri- and post-menopausal, keep a magnifying mirror to hand and tilt your head in all directions so you can catch sight of any stray hairs. Spot any? Neat little fuzzaway Yoso Trim, £15.25, then becomes your BFF.
– ERASE THOSE BLEMISHES. Just three weeks using the concentrated serum The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA, £7 at victoriahealth.com, visibly lessens the intensity of age spots and hyper-pigmentation.