This cheese and onion dip recipe is an English version of the Mexican queso blanco. Be warned, it's highly addictive!
- 2 shallots, very finely diced
- 2 green chillies, deseeded and finely diced
- 300g (10oz) vintage Cheddar, grated (the stronger the better)
- 200g (7oz) Monterey Jack or Jarlsberg, grated
- 250ml (9fl oz) double cream
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
Heat a splash of oil or butter in a saucepan and add the shallots. Fry gently for a few minutes, until softened, then add the chillies, cheeses and cream, and heat gently stirring often for a few minutes, until the cheese has melted completely. Remove from the heat, allow to cool slightly until you have a thick dip, then serve immediately, scattered with the spring onions.