By Jane Curran published
A good old fashioned Shepherd's Pie has always been a family favourite in Britain. Whilst the standard combination of traditional mash and minced beef still has a place in meat-eaters' hearts around the world, now vegetarians and vegans can enjoy their own, tailor-made version of this classic favourite. Sweet replaces savoury in the mashed potato department, and vegetables and spices replace meat in the main body of this culinary delight, with a very different, but equally as good, flavour. The fresh taste of scrummy vegetable combinations comes alive with the tangy taste of ginger and the spices of coriander and cumin, combined with a kick for the tastebuds from the heat of the chilli. Serve at a dinner party to impress your guests, or treat the family to a weekday food pick-me-up.
This yummy evening (or Sunday lunch) dish is also easily adapted into a soup, simply by adding extra stock (and losing the mashed sweet potatoes).
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN SHEPHERD'S PIE
- Boil the sweet potatoes until tender, then mash and season well. You won't need any butter or oil.
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan, then cook the onion, carrots celery and ginger until softened. Add the pepper and mushrooms; cook for a few minutes. Add the spices then stir well for a few minutes. Add the lentils, chickpeas and stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Slacken the cornflour with a little cold water. Add to the pan and stir until thickened.
- Put the filling into an ovenproof, shallow dish. Spoon over the mash and spread with a fork. Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4. Bake for 40 minutes until browned and bubbling. Serve with green vegetables.
- 1.25kg sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 250g carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks celery, chopped
- 5cm piece of fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 400g button mushrooms
- 1sp each turmeric, coriander, cumin, pinch dried chilli flakes
- 250g cooked puy lentils
- 400g can of chickpeas, drained
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 1tbsp cornflour
Top Tip for making Vegan Shepherd's Pie
Use a teaspoon to peel the ginger - less waste and very speedy!
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Air signs—Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius zodiacs explained
Air signs of the zodiac are Libra, Gemini, and Aquarius—here's everything you need to know about what it means to be an air sign
By Rylee Johnston • Published
Anna Hathaway dressed like her character in The Devil Wears Prada and fans can't get enough
The Internet had a lot to say about Anne Hathaway's latest look after she shared it on Instagram...
By Anna Rahmanan • Published
Zara and Mike Tindall confuse Australian interviewer with tropical background
The royal couple showed off their funny side in their most recent interview
By Emma Dooney • Published