If you’re after a curry recipe that you can try a home that’s more tasty than a take away and makes for a great dinner party recipe, why not try this delicious chicken Massaman curry recipe this week? Using chicken thighs, which is a relatively inexpensive meat, and plenty of spice, you can get all the flavour at home.
Coconut cream and fish sauce help to create a really creamy sauce, while the ginger and curry paste create that classic Massaman spice.
This recipe makes enough curry to serve four people – so it’s great for feeding the whole family.
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN MASSAMAN CURRY
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan. Add the curry paste and fry, stirring all the time until it becomes fragrant and aromatic, around 2-3 minutes. Add the chicken, potatoes, pepper, onion and ginger and stir well, coating them completely in the paste. Cook for about 5 minutes before adding the coconut cream, fish sauce and sugar. Simmer gently on a low to medium heat for 25-30 minutes, or until the chicken and potatoes are cooked through.
- Just before serving, add the water chestnuts and Thai basil. Serve with rice.
- 1tbsp oil
- massaman curry paste (use the quantity as instructed on the pack)
- 500g boned and skinned chicken thighs, evenly diced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper, cut into 1cm strips
- 1 red onion, cut into 1cm strips
- 2cm piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 450ml coconut cream
- 1tbsp Thai fish sauce
- 1tbsp palm sugar or light brown sugar
- 200g canned waterchestnuts, drained
- Thai basil, to serve
Jane Curran is a freelance food editor, stylist, writer and consultant based in Cape Town. Former food director of TI Media & woman&home. All about food, wine (dipWSET), gardening and the Arsenal.
Christmas Cake Tray Bake
For a quick and easy alternative to Christmas cake, try out this Christmas Cake Tray Bake. It's packed with all the delicious fruit you'd expect and is so quick!
By Samuel Goldsmith • Published
Burnt Basque Cheesecake with Mulberry sauce
Once we tried our first slice of burnt Basque cheesecake from San Sebastian, we knew it was love! We’ve paired ours with some seasonal berries for good measure.
By Rose Fooks • Published
Christmas pudding cheesecake
This Christmas pudding cheesecake makes an excellent pud for the Boxing Day buffet
By Rose Fooks • Published
Best Valentine's Day Movies to watch this February 14
Here is our list of best romantic movies to enjoy this Valentine's Day, from rom-coms to period dramas there's something for everyone
By Laura Harman • Published
Chinese New Year 2022—Year of the Water Tiger and the lunar celebration explained
Chinese New Year 2022 welcomes in the Year of the Water Tiger—here's everything to know about the celebration and its lunar connections
By Aoife Hanna • Published
Adele's Las Vegas set removal from Caesars Palace has ticketholders worried for future concerts
Adele postponed all of her Las Vegas residency dates last week
By Emma Dooney • Published