- olive oil, to drizzle
- 6 thin slices sourdough bread
- 100g (4oz) baby carrots, scrubbed
- 2 beef fillet steaks, 100-150g (4-5oz) each
- handful spinach leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- handful red chicory leaves
- for the dressing (with leftovers)
- 2tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ shallot, very finely chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- ½tsp sugar
- 3tbsp olive oil
- 1tbsp chopped parsley
To make the dressing, whisk the Dijon, vinegar, shallot, garlic and sugar together, then gradually whisk in the oil. Stir through the parsley with seasoning. Set aside.
Heat the oven to 200 C, 180 C fan, 400 F, gas 6. Drizzle oil over the bread slices and bake for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden and crisp. Set aside. Steam the carrots for 5 to 10 minutes until tender.
Oil the steaks, season, and fry for 1 minute on each side. Transfer to the oven and cook for 3 minutes for medium rare. Remove the steaks from the oven and rest for a few minutes. Pile the salad ingredients on 2 plates, top with the steaks and drizzle over some dressing.