By Elisa Roche
Our tropical coconut custard tart goes beautifully with Pimm’s or a spiced rum cocktail making it perfect for your summer celebrations.
Have fun decorating our tropical coconut custard tart and choose a design that will really impress your guests. The classic combination of coconut and mango is perfectly complimented with the addition of fresh raspberries and blueberries.
We haven’t made the pastry from scratch but we’ve got an excellent recipe for those who want to go the extra mile. You could also use a readymade tart case, lots of supermarkets sell them at very reasonable prices.
- 320g pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry
For the custard filling:
- 400ml double cream
- 2 x 160ml cans coconut cream
- 3 eggs, plus 2 yolks
- 1 vanilla pod or 1tsp extract
- 75g caster sugar
- ½ fresh nutmeg, grated
- ¼ punnet of raspberries
- ¼ punnet blueberries¼ punnet strawberries
- 1 ripe mango, sliced finely
- 1 can squirty cream (or 300ml fresh whipped)
You will need:
- 23cm tart case
- Baking beans
- Heat oven to 180C/gas 4, set a shelf in middle of the oven and take dough out of the fridge to warm up slightly.
- Line the tart tin with the pastry, pressing into the edges, but don’t trim yet. Chill for 20 mins.
- Trim and crimp pastry edges. Line with baking parchment and fill with baking beans. Bake for 15 mins, remove the beans and then bake for a further 5 minutes.
- Reduce oven to 140C/gas 1. Put the cream and coconut cream in a pan and heat gently. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, vanilla and sugar together until pale. Pour the hot cream mixture over the eggs, whisking constantly until the sugar has dissolved. Push through a fine sieve into a jug.
- Put the tart case back on the oven shelf, with the shelf pulled out. Pour in custard filling then sprinkle the nutmeg over the top. Pop back in the oven and bake for 50-55 mins, until the custard is set but still wobbles. Leave to cool, then refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Decorate with fruit and swirls of fresh cream and serve before the cream collapses. We also used edible flowers.
Top Tip for making Tropical coconut custard tart
Really short on time? Pick up a ready-made pastry case, several supermarkets sell them.
The Most Iconic Couples Of All Time—our official list
From modern-day celebrity romances to legendary lovers of the past, here's our top pick on the most iconic couples of all time
By Emma Dooney •
Princess Anne’s rare royal title that might be passed on to great-niece Princess Charlotte
Princess Anne is one of only seven British royal women to be honored in this way
By Emma Shacklock •
Debbie Harry pays homage to the horror film Psycho with incredible floor-length red dress
The lead singer of Blondie, Debbie Harry, looked fabulous as she stepped out at the Tribeca Film festival
By Laura Harman •