Rhubarb and strawberries go together so well as the sweetness of the strawberry helps to take the edge off of the sharp taste of rhubarb, while almond adds a lovely nutty flavour to this cake too and keeps the mixture moist and flavoursome.
Served up with clotted cream or crème fraîche, this cake would be perfect as and Easter dessert, but would also be lovely in the afternoon with a nice cup of tea too.
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 2 large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 175g self-raising flour
- a pinch of salt
- 50g ground almonds
- 4tbsp natural yogurt
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 100g rhubarb, sliced
- 150g strawberries
- 2tbsp seedless raspberry jam, mixed with 1tbsp boiling water
- 3tbsp toasted flaked almonds
- 1tsp icing sugar (optional)
- you will need
- a 20cm round spring form tin, greased, and the base and sides lined with baking parchment
Heat the oven to 160C fan, gas 4.
In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until pale and creamy.
Gradually beat in the eggs and vanilla extract until combined.
Sift the flour, salt and ground almonds over the bowl; gently mix. And the yogurt, lemon zest and juice; fold in until smooth.Spoon into the tin; level the surface with a spatula.
Arrange the fruit on top and bake, covered with foil, for 45 minutes. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 15 minutes or until cooked through.
Once cooled, scatter with flaked almonds, drizzle with jam and sift over the icing sugar, if using.