By Jane Curran
You’ll see fishermen all along the beaches in Sri Lanka and their fish curries are fragrant and utterly delicious. We’ve tried to recreate one of their masterpieces in this quick-cook curry that uses just a handful of ingredients which work beautifully with the seafood. If you can’t find squid, or fancy an alternative, you could substitute any kind of seafood – white fish or even clams make a delicious addition to this easy Sri Lankan recipe. We like this served simply with rice, to soak up all those lovely juices. If you’re feeling like you might need a little something extra then you can make a quick sambal from chopped red onions, lime juice and salt, and of course what curry isn’t completed by a little poppadom or two? If you fancy having extra curry sauce you can make double and freeze one portion – ready for a quick meal another night.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan and cook the onion for 15 mins. Add the garlic and cook for a few minutes, then add all the spices and the chillies. Cook, stirring for a few minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cream, mix well. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer. Add the curry leaves, lime juice, squid and prawns. Cook for just a few minutes until the prawns are pink and cooked. Serve with rice and a sambal (side dish) of sliced red onions, lime juice and a little chilli.
- 4tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2tsp fennel seeds
- ½tsp chilli powder
- 1/2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp ground coriander
- 1/2tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 1 x 400ml can coconut milk
- 1 x 160ml can coconut cream
- small handful fresh or dried curry leaves
- juice of 2 limes
- 450g squid, cleaned and cut into pieces
- 250g large raw prawns
Top Tip for making Sri Lankan Curry with Squid and Prawns
Squid only goes tough if you overcook it so it just needs the briefest of time.
The Queen sends sweet message to Prince Philip as he remains in hospital following infection
Her Majesty paid tribute to her husband...
By Georgia Farquharson •
Dress brand Finery London launches with Marks & Spencer - and their collection is perfect for spring
Dress brand Finery London has launched with Marks & Spencer so that you can shop their flattering line with ease
By Aleesha Badkar •
Claudia Winkleman reveals surprising secret to her happy marriage
The Strictly Come Dancing star has been married for twenty years...
By Georgia Farquharson •