Give this casserole recipe a go if you need to warm up over the winter months. Using a combination of delicious Toulouse sausage and tasty chorizo, it’s not one you’ll forget in a hurry.
This casserole recipe was submitted by Cheryl Walsh from Doncaster. She says “we went on holiday to Portugal, staying on a friend’s boat, it was my turn to cook, I needed a one-pot dish, these were the ingredients we had to hand – and it’s now my daughter’s favourite dish.”
The casserole is given a spicy kick thanks to the addition of a bird’s eye chilli, but you can switch this up for a normal chilli if you’re not a huge fan of spice.
You’ll need a good bottle of Rioja to cover the ingredients in the pan, but any that’s left over is yours for the taking!
- 20cm (8in) chorizo sausage, sliced into 1cm (1/2in) rounds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small bird's eye chilli, finely chopped (or a normal chilli if you don't like it too hot)
- 10-12 mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into pieces about 2cm (1in) square
- 1 large tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 Toulouse sausages
- 1 x 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- Sufficient good-quality Rioja red wine to cover all ingredients in pan
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
Fry the chorizo in a dry frying pan (don’t worry about no oil as the chorizo will produce enough) until golden. Add onion, garlic, chilli, mushrooms, pepper and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté until soft.
Meanwhile, grill the Toulouse sausages until evenly brown. Add to the other cooked ingredients with the tinned tomatoes, pour over the wine until all the ingredients are covered. Stir in the tomato purée and cook on a medium heat until tender – about 20 minutes. Season to taste. Serve with potatoes – if you like, add to the casserole while it’s cooking so they absorb all the flavour too.