Give this casserole recipe (opens in new tab) a go if you need to warm up over the winter months. Using a combination of delicious Toulouse sausage and tasty chorizo, it’s not one you’ll forget in a hurry.
This casserole recipe was submitted by Cheryl Walsh from Doncaster. She says "we went on holiday to Portugal, staying on a friend's boat, it was my turn to cook, I needed a one-pot dish, these were the ingredients we had to hand - and it's now my daughter's favourite dish."
The casserole is given a spicy kick thanks to the addition of a bird’s eye chilli, but you can switch this up for a normal chilli if you’re not a huge fan of spice.
You’ll need a good bottle of Rioja to cover the ingredients in the pan, but any that’s left over is yours for the taking!
HOW TO MAKE SPICY SAUSAGE CASSEROLE
- Fry the chorizo in a dry frying pan (don't worry about no oil as the chorizo will produce enough) until golden. Add onion, garlic, chilli, mushrooms, pepper and sun-dried tomatoes and sauté until soft.
- Meanwhile, grill the Toulouse sausages until evenly brown. Add to the other cooked ingredients with the tinned tomatoes, pour over the wine until all the ingredients are covered. Stir in the tomato purée and cook on a medium heat until tender - about 20 minutes. Season to taste. Serve with potatoes - if you like, add to the casserole while it's cooking so they absorb all the flavour too.
- 20cm (8in) chorizo sausage, sliced into 1cm (1/2in) rounds
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 small bird's eye chilli, finely chopped (or a normal chilli if you don't like it too hot)
- 10-12 mushrooms, cut into quarters
- 1 large red pepper, chopped into pieces about 2cm (1in) square
- 1 large tbsp sun-dried tomatoes
- 8 Toulouse sausages
- 1 x 14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- Sufficient good-quality Rioja red wine to cover all ingredients in pan
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- Salt and pepper to taste
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Helen Mirren's houndstooth coat and chic grey pleated skirt epitomizes how to look chic on a chilly day
Helen Mirren's houndstooth coat is a versatile classic that never goes out of fashion as the star steps out in style in New York City
By Aoife Hanna • Published
How King Charles' 'big sausage fingers' helped Dominic West's performance in The Crown
Dominic West’s casting as Charles in The Crown had some naysayers, but he proved them all wrong
By Jack Slater • Published
Courteney Cox finally has her say on Prince Harry's wild magic mushroom party claims in Spare
Courteney Cox has spoken out about Prince Harry's shocking claims that he tripped on magic mushrooms during a party at her house
By Emma Dooney • Published