Whether you've never made blinis before or are just looking for a refresher this simple salmon recipe couldn't be easier to follow, and it gets fab results every time. These delicate little pancakes make a tasty smoked salmon starter for a dinner party or gorgeous canapes if you're just putting on drinks for family and friends. The key to getting the authentic taste is the buckwheat flour, this rich savoury ingredient balances with smoky salmon perfectly.
HOW TO MAKE SMOKED SALMON AND CAVIAR BLINIS
For the blinis
- 100g (4oz) buckwheat flour, sifted
- 125g (4½oz) strong white flour, sifted
- 1tsp fine salt
- 6g (0.2 oz) yeast
- 2 eggs, separated
- 425ml (14.5 fl oz) buttermilk
For the topping
- 150g (5oz) smoked salmon slices
- 1 x 250ml tub crème fraîche
- 4tbsp lumpfish roe caviare
- snipped fresh chives, to decorate
- To make the blinis, put the flours, salt, yeast and egg yolks into a large bowl. Whisk in the buttermilk until you have a smooth batter. Cover with clingfilm and leave for 2 hours or until frothy and "proved".
- Whisk the egg whites to form stiff peaks and gently fold into the batter.
- Lightly oil a heavy non-stick frying pan or skillet and pour a tablespoonful of the batter into the hot pan. Fry for 1 to 2 minutes on each side and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and store the blinis in the fridge. Before serving, warm them for 10 minutes in a low oven.
- To serve, top the blinis with either a small slice of smoked salmon and a dollop of crème fraîche, or crème fraîche topped with caviare and a sprinkling of black pepper and decorate with snipped chives.
Chris Appleton's new mask delivers that JLo glow for hair
The Chris Appleton Color Wow MONEY Masque makes dull, frazzled strands look expensive in just 5 minutes.
By Fiona Embleton •
Queen reportedly ‘distraught’ over husband Prince Philip’s ‘health setback’
It's claimed it's been a 'rough few weeks' for the monarch
By Emma Shacklock •
Kate Garraway rocks a retro look in bright yellow with an inspiring message to fans
Kate Garraway looks cool and collected on her way to work
By Laura Harman •