- Heat the oil in a large, heavy-based casserole over a medium heat and brown the meat on all sides, in batches. Set aside. In the same pan, cook the onions for 3-4 minutes or until softened and golden.
- Add the wine, stock, port, tomato purée, porcini mushrooms and soaking liquor, Worcestershire sauce, allspice and thyme to the pan. Mix well, add the meat back to the pan and bring to the boil. Reduce to a gentle simmer, cover with a lid and cook for 3 hours or until very tender. Add the mushrooms to the pan for the last 10 minutes of cooking time. Season well.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1.5kg beef shin, cut into chunks
- 4 large shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 400ml red wine
- 350ml beef stock
- 50ml ruby port
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 10g porcini mushrooms, soaked in 75ml boiling water
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 125g shitake mushrooms, halved
- 250g baby chestnut mushrooms
- 250g baby button mushrooms
- chopped parsley, to serve
Top Tip for making Slow Cooked Beef with Mushrooms and Red Wine
Serve with mash or potato gratin and greens
Katie McLelland is a food stylist, chef, recipe developer, home economist, eater- and everything in-between. She specialises in creating recipes for social media channels to editorial and advertising content as well as the occasional bread, cake, pudding and menus in real life.
Katie is also a home economist for film and TV. Current projects including Cooking with the Stars (South Shore), Matilda (Poppet Productions), Landscapers (Sister), This Sceptered Isle (Revolution Films) and The Great season 2 (Yekaterina Uk ltd).
Chocolate and hazelnut roulade
This chocolate and hazelnut roulade comes with an optional Baileys Irish cream liqueur filling for an extra, festive twist
By Jen Bedloe • Published
This no-bake Baileys cheesecake is so easy to make and perfect for cream liqueur lovers, plus it takes just 40 minutes to prepare
By Jess Meyer • Published
Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline
Serve this rich Chocolate torte with Baileys cream and salted praline for a festive dessert that makes a popular alternative to Christmas pudding
By Jen Bedloe • Published
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game and hatred for squirrels couldn’t be more *her*
Princess Margaret’s go-to dinner party game is very unique and her fellow guests would never have known it was happening…
By Emma Shacklock • Published
Will there be a season 2 of BEEF on Netflix? Here's what we know so far
The thriller series has caught the world's undivided attention - but will there be a season 2 of BEEF?
By Madeline Merinuk • Published
Queen goes off-script to reveal ‘dinner party’ plans in unusually candid moment in Scotland
The Queen stopped to make casual conversation with the public during her visit to Scotland for Royal Week, a resurfaced video has shown
By Emma Dooney • Last updated