- 4 large free-range eggs, separated
- 50g (2oz) caster sugar
- 1tsp vanilla extract
- 400ml (14fl oz) double cream
- 380g jar caramel sauce (we used Bonne Maman Confiture de Caramel)
- 1tsp Maldon sea salt
- 50g (2oz) blanched almonds, toasted and chopped
- fresh strawberries, to decorate (optional)
- for the praline
- 100g (4oz) caster sugar
- 50g (2oz) blanched, toasted almonds
- you will need
- 1.2-litre (2pt) loaf tin or 2 small ones
Whisk the egg yolks, sugar and vanilla in a large bowl until thick and pale. Whisk the cream until soft peaks form and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until very stiff. Fold the whipped cream into the egg yolk mix and then fold in the egg whites. Mix the caramel with the sea salt and the almonds. Swirl half of the caramel mix through the egg mixture. Layer up the remaining caramel and egg base into the tin, cover and freeze overnight.
To make the praline, place the caster sugar in a saucepan and gently melt on a low heat until darkened and caramelised. Be patient with it and don’t stir but swirl around. Line a baking sheet with foil and brush with vegetable oil. Place the toasted almonds on the baking sheet, pour over the caramelised sugar and leave to set. Once cooled and set, smash up the praline and use as a topping for the semifreddo, along with fresh strawberries, if you like.